Poorly Made Boat

harold

I was down at Akuna Bay last weekend, fiddling on the boat and i happened to chat to the bloke who owns the boat berthed next to mine. He has a new 24ft american boat (if you want to know the make pm me) that he bought less than 12 months ago at a cost way in excess of $100k. He told me that 5 months ago he ventured outside to go fishing and he noticed water was getting into the boat, he turned around and headed back to AB and had the boat pulled out and on the bottom of the hull, running parrallel on each side, were two, one and a half metre splits in the hull. He immediately contacted the importer who didnt want to know anything about it. To cut a long story short, the guy is an engineer so he got a thermal imaging test done that showed the boat had insufficient thickness of fibreglass on the hull. Armed with this info he went to the principal of the importer and it took 15 weeks of argument and agro for the manufacturer to agree to pay for rectification work. Would i buy one of their boats? No bloody way.

pleeeease don't say Boston Whaler!!!

Actually mine has already been rolled and went out drifting by herself for a few days.. :05: before we picked her up... so a few leaks would be understandable

(not that she has any though..shes a tough little boat!!!)

What type of boat was it.. Cummonnnn ya know you wana say it!!! :wacko:

guys, before you start speculating boat brands just remember that some of us own these brands. i have owned an 18ft Bayliner bowrider for 3 years and love it. It has kept me comfortable in sloppy conditions that would have resulted in broken backs in a tinnie

Value for money boating are what theyre all about and sure, they are not the most solidly built boats in the world but used appropriately are as 'solid' as need be.

As for the boat that split, i feel for the owner but these thing could potentially occur to any boat.