Has anyone done anything amazing on New Year's Eve in the past?

mrsswordfisherman

I spent Christmas and New Year in Bali back in the early 70's - it was a pristine environment back then.

I remember riding my motorbike through the villages just past Legian on New Year's day and thinking how crazy it was to be all the way from home in a place that did not celebrate Christmas. It was then I realised that there was a big world outside the Eastern Subs of Sydney :)

I was on duty one year whilst in the Army and considering our duty room was right up the far end of base no-one ever came up that far especially considering we had a locked gate about 300m from the guard room so we were pretty safe there most nights from curious duty officers and warrant officers.

I was a young naive digger at the time and was very wet behind the ears and didnt really know what was ok when the duty Corporal pulled out a carton of Bourbon and cokes.

He offered me one and I said "no, I'm on duty corporal its not a good idea" which is the answer he was looking for until he cracked one and said well its going to be a boring night for you then and so I joined him.

We ended up drinking a fair bit of that bourbon before one of us came up with the great idea of trying to find a vantage point to see the fireworks all the way in the city from where we were at the time (Holsworthy Barracks, Sydney).

The only thing we could come up with was to drive a UniMog up close to the building we were in and get onto the roof and watch the fireworks from there until I suggested we get some of the Linesman gear out of the linies cages and climb the huge water tank not far from the duty room.

So off we went 2 drunk as skunk soldiers trying to track down some harness' and roping gear to get up to the top of the tower never really thinking what we would do had we needed to get down of there fast enough to deal with anything that may have gone off in the duty room, but being drunk as wouldnt have really helped anyway.

So we actually made it up the tower, set up a fast rope incase we needed to get down quickly and enjoyed what looked like fireworks in the distance at midnight!

Its not the most truly fabulous thing others may have done but for me it is the most memorable one for me as most of them from 18 to about 28 were spent horribly drunk in seedy bars all over whatever City I was living in at the time.

I've looked at the water tank many times since then and though we were so lucky we didnt die doing what we did cause even looking at it sober it seems quite a feat to conquer thats for sure!

Now that I'm older and dont drink, I try my best to stay awake till midnight, kiss and hug everyone in the room Happy New Year and head straight to bed, which is what I will be doing tonight. But, my funny brain seems to come up with wierd things to do the next day some how, not like resolutions or that garbage, but household jobs or tasks that I just didnt even know existed I will wake up early, get stuck in and spend as many hours it takes to get it done. Last year was clean out and sort my man cave that went from 7am to 5pm, and the year before that was build a Tamiya RC rock crawler I think, so God knows what it will be tomorrow but I'm guessing as I sit here loooking at my completely dissorganised and filthy man cave, my sub conscious is already taking in the wierd and wonderful tasks I'll be doing tomorrow I guess.

Happy new year to all, and lets hope 2015 kicks off well and with no ill intentions from anyone here in Australia, and world-wide at that! If you are going into crowded public places and anything bad happens, just hit the deck or run the hell out of there if you can.

Be safe folks.

I can just imagine that Floating Medic! I will have a laugh to myself next time I go past Holsworthy :)

I spent many Christmases and New Years Eve's in hospitals as a registered nurse - we did some funny things to the supervisors that cruised around our wards but we didn't have a drink until we got off duty.

Challenges for the next year - personally I have a few but it is looking bright and I am up for an adventure or two :-rolleyes:flying::1fishing1::1clap:

post-869-0-31938900-1419986065_thumb.jpg

Where are the Post It notes for Mr Sword?

My most memorable New Year (for all the wrong reasons) was as a junior lifesaver/rower at North Cronulla Surf Club where we got totally wasted and pigged out on prawns that turned out to be off.

Spent the next three days as sick as a brown dog, initially covered in regurgitated prawns (some belonging to mates) worried that I would die and then wishing that I could.

Ah, memories!

All the best to you and yours Donna and fellow Raiders.

Cheers

Paikea

Never get up to anything exciting, as it does not worry me that much, just another night, watching some fireworks, eating and drinking.

Many years ago, as a young detective, I was called to Sutherland Hospital to talk to a bloke about 30 old with an ear injury, a couple of hours after midnight.

He had been to a party, got pissed and lost his way home. He wanted a sleep, so he said he climbed up a tree, crawled out on a large branch around 10 to 12 feet from the ground, grabbed the branch with his arms and legs and fell asleep (don't know how he did not fall off, as he was still pissed when I spoke to him at the hospital) like a koala sleeping in a tree.

He heard a noise which woke him, it was a male and female, early 20's, kissing and talking. He said the female was a good sort, she took off all of her clothes and lay down on the ground underneath him, but did not see him in the tree. He said she looked even better with her clothes off. The male took all his clothes off, and was "standing to attention", ready to mount the female when the dope in the tree made a silly comment, something like, "It's not that big."

The younger bloke told him to f*** off, the dope in the tree yelled back, but lost his grip and fell onto the ground and onto his back. The younger bloke was still "armed with an offensive weapon" and bent over the bloke on the ground and gave him a few good punches around the head and body, probably upset that he did not finish the business with the young lady, who was putting her clothes back on by this time.

The young bloke then bit one ear of the older bloke, and chewed off a piece about the size of a 20 cent piece, put his clothes on then ran off with the female.

The older bloke looked around but could not find the piece of ear, so headed off to the hospital for treatment. When I spoke to him at the hospital, he said he would not make a complaint about the missing piece of ear, as it was his fault for perving on the female, and would not tell me where it happened.

A strange story, but he sounded fair dinkum, so I headed off to another job.

Edited by yowie

Nice view Ian. I'm home with the dog.

I can't be sure it was exactly new years Eve but give take 24 hours. 7 years ago in a small town in the UK Welsh borders we saw a documentary on emigrating. Long story very short after 18 months of red tape and planning we arrived in Sydney eastern suburbs.

So in reply to Donna first post. The eastern suburbs is the big world outside for some of us :)

Tight lines in 2015 all

Where are the Post It notes for Mr Sword?

My most memorable New Year (for all the wrong reasons) was as a junior lifesaver/rower at North Cronulla Surf Club where we got totally wasted and pigged out on prawns that turned out to be off.

Spent the next three days as sick as a brown dog, initially covered in regurgitated prawns (some belonging to mates) worried that I would die and then wishing that I could.

Ah, memories!

All the best to you and yours Donna and fellow Raiders.

Cheers

Paikea

Did have a little giggle to myself when i read this :sun: I am sure it was far from frunny at the time though !!!!

My/our New Years just consisted of parties/drinking bouts :drunk: A few involved fancy dress :sun: Over the years I have been a schoolboy,a condom,a scene of crime officer and for the Millenium I was Rab C Nesbit :sun:

This one is me as a schoolboy and the wife has my cap on

post-34124-0-75309800-1420025683_thumb.jpg

I am Rab C Nesbit in this one

post-34124-0-16073100-1420025763_thumb.jpg

Happy daze :sun:

John

New Years Eve, always seems like a lot of pressure.

I've had a lot of shockers, I don't care to remember.

Vietnam 1996 was great. Overnight train Hanoi to Hue,

drinking warm Gin with Swiss and Canadians, on top of old malaria preventatives.

Tonight was FABULOUS .

We went to a friends parents waterfront,.

Arrived 630 , a beer or two, then I headed down to the jetty.

SMASHED IT ... From the first drift,

I put my old mate Andy onto his 1st blackfish.

post-24974-0-39554600-1420074672_thumb.jpg

It's in the past now.......last night Port Stephens style!

post-24974-0-85681800-1420074788_thumb.jpg

There's something special about sitting on a beach with your feet in the sand or water on a gorgeous night watching the fireworks! And the crackers were pretty good too! Lol

Happy new year!

Cheers scratchie!!!