Service for my outboard

tonype123

Hey folks, ive just moved into the area (St George, Sydney) was wondering if anyone knew of a trustworthy mechanic that doesn't charge an arm and a leg..I just went to change my gear oil and noticed the oil was a milky colour, so no doubt have a leak somewhere. Your help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Guest Aussie007

pull your proppeller off and look for fishing line wond around the shaft if there is some remove it and refill your gearbox from the bottom drain hole and give it a whirl than see if shes milky again make sure to use new nylon washers for the two screws

if the fishing line isnt the case you'll need to get all the gearbox seals done

Guest Aussie007

Hi Aussie007, mate I just took the nut off and im trying to pull this prop off but it aint budging, probably hasn't had it done for 15-20 years! any tips?? ive smashed WD into it. Any tip will be much appreciated..Cheers

i replied to your PM LMF, ive never encountered a stuck prop may someone here can tell u how to remove it?

Is the prop stuck fast on the shaft? As in, is there any clockwise or CCW movement of the prop if you hold the shaft tight? Put the motor in gear, then with some sturdy gloves try to move the prop left and right like you are steering a car but do it fast and jerky left to right. This might cause the prop to un-wedge itself off the shaft splines.

If you cant do it by hand, try using a rubber mallet in the opposite direction to which the prop spins to push the boat forward as I'm guessing thats probably the case with your prop.

There's dedicated prop pullers you can buy specifically for the task.

Better still make one yourself as you'll proberbly only use it once depending off course how handy you are on the tools and what materials you have laying around.

Another way with some element of risk to cause damage is the following.

Install the castellated nut with the castellations facing the prop screwing it down flush with the shaft while at the same time giving it light taps with a hammer whilst firmly pulling outwards on the prop at the same time to hopefully break the rust free of the splines to be able to remove it.(A air hammer is ideal for this as the vibrations from the percussion action shock the rust loose)

Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to remove it for you for a small fee if any.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, you may have solved your problem, but if it is an alloy prop and it is that stuck, a prop puller will destroy the prop by breaking the blades. We have had many props seize on over the years and only SST survive the punishment a puller can put on them-some cases we have had to cut the prop away and that can be time consuming and therefore expensive. Good advise to remove the prop regularly to stop this and catch any fishing line, only this week two jobs have had straight water in the gearcase due to clumps of line behind the prop.

Cheers,

Huey.