First Marlin on Tailor-Made

Billy2014

Raiders,

Only just finished building my boat and it's first Marlin trip was a ripper. Yesterdays trip started out as a spin for kings and mahi only to end up going for a troll - Totally unprepared for it as we didn't intend to fish for Marlin, no outriggers, spin gear and old lures, we hooked a Blue Marlin on the shot gun with a Stella 10k and a jigging rod, totally under-gunned. The hook was merely wrapped and locked around the beak so we were very lucky not to lose it. The Stella was also short of line so the chase was on to stay with the fish.

Later in the day, we raised and lost another two black or striped Marlin, they were lit up, slashing around at the lures, keeping us well entertained so it was a bumper of a day and conditions were fantastic! I estimate the fish to have been around 130kg, quite solid with a beautiful copper coloured band running under the lateral line. Just snipped together a quick video of the blue on youtube, link below;

Cheers,

Billy.

Edited by Billy2014

Well done Billy

Nice fish for the new boat

Looks like a strong boat good fishing platform

It's good to see a lot of fishraider s

Getting stuck into the marlin for 2015

Stickybeak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully we all have a good season!

Thanks Paikea & Erroll.

Actually, I think we may have hooked a big striped not a blue, I'm still not 100% on it, I have caught striped before, almost as big as this one and they did look a little more slender, this is why I thought this may have been a blue instead, it was a really solid looking fish. Anyhow, striped, blue, black, it's all good!

Hi Billy. Is that a Trailcraft you fish out of? Love to see some more pics of your boat

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Paikea,

I built the boat myself in 2013 but still playing around with bits & pieces on it, it's essentially finished now but I still need to clean it :unsure: Link below to more photos.

http://billsboatbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Billy2014

That looks like solid fun. Good fishing on a threadline, (an 1100 dollar threadline mind you) and beautiful conditions. My money is on a stripe. Good job and a nice release. :banana:

Yeah - for $1100 you would expect it to make you coffee as well but it doesn't!