Pittwater croc & ugliest fish ever

Burnsey

Took the tinny out on Pittwater last Saturday and managed a PB 80cm flatty near West Head. She took a pillie and put up a great fight. She was then released to fight another day - it felt great letting a nice fish like this back into the water! I lost another nice flatty, then landed a smaller version that became Sunday's dinner.

I later headed up near Scotland Island and landed a fish that I've never seen. It was around 25cm long, had a wide flat mouth and looked like a cross between a rock cod and a stonefish. The bottom where we were fishing was a mix of rocks & kelp. Can anyone identify this fish? Refer attached pics.

post-22607-0-99212900-1421127442_thumb.jpg

post-22607-0-73617900-1421127475_thumb.jpg

Are those spines on the dorsal poisonous? :puke:

Don't think so, have held quite a number of them at times to remove the hook, never been spiked, but then I grab them underneath the body. A blubbery sort of fish to hold, not like your normal bream or flattie.

Thanks all for your comments. I've checked and it was definitely a frogfish. I'll claim it as a 2nd PB for the day. He croaked like a frog when out of the water and was put back in pretty fast.

Read some years ago that submarines using sonar can pick up the croaking of frogfish. (don't know how true that is)