Shark Attractant

wizza

Those big sharks we see or read about menacing fishos in boats offshore.Just how often is this caused by leaving the motor in neutral with the prop spinning in the current firing up the hungry inquisitive bities? Folks with smaller boats especially should be aware of this danger. Cheers wizza

Wizza . Do you want to reference a scientific finding? AND are you hitting a contradiction here? Small boats off shore?

I've a 5.2m which I consider small. which I take a couple of K out. I have no worries about sharks and also kill my engine on drifts. BUT this not off shore.

I know and agree boats going off shore leave engines running. If your covering big distance tick over costs are nominal

But I'm not sure where your suggestion hits unless tiny boats are too far out and sharks are probably the least of thier drowning worries.

I. E. I can't imagine feeling worried about a shark in a boat I'd feel comfortable taking outside. I'd have thought the biggest scare is bulls for yaks!! Inshore

Now. Sharks being attracted and eating your catch!!!

Edited by NaClH2OK9

30 odd years fishing outside at anchor in 5.7m to 4.3m boats all good no sharks going the prop. Seen many sharks whilst fishing during this time. Have seen the videos of big sharks coming very close to boats and mouthing their props, I am lucky this hasnt happened to me or any one I know. Just fish and enjoy it.

My first hand knowledge of this is from the 70s when it was common to anchor on the Peak and burley for yellowfin.Gamefishers soon learnt that leaving the motor in neutral created a Rapala for noahs.This style of fishing is not so common since the closer in fin disappeared.There are probably reports or articles in gamefishing literature this being a big shark trait worldwide.Cheers wizza

For those that don't want to believe or those that couldn't be bothered their own bit of research on this matter i've supplied a link and an extract from Taronga Zoo on the matter.

Sharks are attracted to sound:
It has been well documented that sharks are
attracted to low l
evel frequency sounds particularly in the range or 10 Hz
-
50 Hz
which is
within
a frequency also given off by struggling or injured fish. Tests have
determined that
shark
s are
most sensitive to frequencies ranging between 40 Hz and
800 Hz (Myrberg, 2001)
and use
their lateral line
and inner ears to locate prey
as far
away as 250m or more.
Human activities in the water
may attract a shark’s attentio
n
. Sound, rather than
sight
or smell, seems to be a shark's primary cue for moving into an area from any distance.
However, once they are attracted to the source of the sound they are more likely to
investigate the object relying more on sight than hearing.

Here is a link to another one, it is quite plausible that sharks are attracted to outboards due to a frequency put off or electrical pulses emitted.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/sharks/why-great-white-sharks-try-to-eat-boat-engines-150123.htm

Careful not to breach our site rules fellas attacking this theory in this post.

Those big sharks we see or read about menacing fishos in boats offshore.Just how often is this caused by leaving the motor in neutral with the prop spinning in the current firing up the hungry inquisitive bities? Folks with smaller boats especially should be aware of this danger. Cheers wizza

Hi Wizza, About 30 years ago at Nambucca I towed a pro/cray boat into the beach, he was about 5k offshore and a Tiger Shark Had bitten off the lower leg of his 120h/power. He was mobil on his way back after pulling his traps up he had that many crays in his boat it was only about 6inches out of the water and it was about a 24 foot alloy.Cheers RAY