Bizarre Fishing Methods

adamski

Hey Raiders,

Been watching a few fishing vids on youtube recently and this came up in my recommended video feed. I was wondering what other weird or unusual methods you've seen other anglers using.

Cheers,

Adam

I didnt see any fish being caught though?? I think they were just having fun with blowing up the ice. I would too!!

When I was a very young kid (late 1940's) we used to half fill tins with Quicklime, punch a small hole in the lid, tie some meat to the side and drop it into a canal. Water entering the tin would react with the lime and gas up to the point where the tin would literally explode.

Tiny "Stickleback" fish would float to the surface for us to collect. Great fun. I later heard that the Canadians who liberated our town used hand grenades the same way to get large Pike.

Ahh, memories!

Cheers

Paikea

As a kid I recall my dad and his mate going mullet hopping - something like just putting a tinny with a light on it out at the right time when the mullet are running and wait for them to fill up the boat. They used to get hessian sugar sacks full of them in just a few runs.

I wouldn't say it was bizarre, but when I was a teenager I went out with an old aboriginal bloke who took a 6ft piece of thin bamboo, he shoved it down mud holes and used it as a stethoscope to listen for mud crabs, then he'd shove his hand straight down the whole and wrestle them out! Brave dude, don't know that I would shove my hand down there, but it got results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried yelling at the fish to jump on my line! It's never worked though :( I've even begged and pleaded but still no result!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I tend to swear at them, doesn't work either. [emoji34]

• 1 month later...

Tried editing the link- it works okay on my laptop now.

It was a sport called "skarping", where guys waterski down a river with nets and catch Asian carp ( they seem to be a pest species in the US) as they leap out the water. Looks helluvalotta fun! :)

Edited by adamski