Bloody Trailer Lights!

Dan A

Well,

Supposed to be going to the Western Sydney Bass 1st Bass comp tomorrow morning, but silly me decided to check the make sure everything work, wouldnt you know it..neither brake light or parking lights are working, blinkers working though.

So after much stuffing around trying to get them working and 3 hours later not even a flash have thought it best not to risk a boat on a trailer without brake lights or park lights at that time of the morning and coming back that time of afternoon.

If anyone reading this knows about trailer wiring..i have checked the rear trailer lights, which now look like they should work after some super glueing as the plastic inside which holds the brake light connections were broken on both sides, and also checked the terminal which attaches the trailer to car and the inside there look ok...any suggestion on what else to check?

Thanks

Dan

Sounds like your lights are stuffed. If your looking at replacing them anyway, you may as well just solder the wires directly to the globes. Should get you by for tomorrow!

Sounds like your lights are stuffed. If your looking at replacing them anyway, you may as well just solder the wires directly to the globes. Should get you by for tomorrow!

67489[/snapback]

Ahh great suggestion!...but I don't have a soldering iron :05: , have already resolved myself to not going.

Where can I get new lights?

Bias Boating. There is one at Penrith a few doors down from ABA. Try and get the same ones as what you have to minimise the holes you will have to drill in the trailer. If you do drill the galvanised trailer to fit different lights, then make sure you paint with cold gal to presrve the trailer, or at the very least silicone over where you drill the holes.

Gday Dan

If you need TO SPLICE INTO YOUR WIRING HARNESS ON THE TRAILER AND REQUIRE A FULLY WATERPROOF JOINT TO ATTACH TO YOUR CHASSI GIVE US A CHIRP AS MY COMPANY MAKES A FULLY ENCAPULATED JOINT THAT' S FULL OF A WATER PROOF GREASE THAT IS WATER PROOF TO 60 M AND THE GREAT THING THE PRICE FREEEEEEEEEE :1yikes:

HERE'S THE PHOTOS

post-80-1127123200_thumb.jpg

post-80-1127123229_thumb.jpg

post-80-1127123263_thumb.jpg

post-80-1127123282_thumb.jpg

Edited by WetPatch

I'll take a few Frank! :thumbup: Don't know what I can use them for, but at that price...I'll find something to do with them! :yahoo:

Edited by Jocool

I got sick and tired of my wiring failing every couple months from salt water. I was constantly re-wiring the bugger. So I bought a light board from BIAS. Best investment yet. Less then $50. Takes a few seconds to put on and off - and no light problems since. Get yourself one - you won't be sorry.

67528[/snapback]

Thats exactly what I have decided to do, BIAS have them now for $67 made out of plastic and 1.5 mtrs wide with a mount hole on either side, only thing is I am not sure how to mount them..do you have any pics or suggestions on how to mount.

Also there are magnetic ones from Super Cheap Auto, anyone seen these...does the magnetic work ok?

And thanks for the offer wetpatch.

Thanks

Dan

Edited by Dan A

I have a couple holders at the back of the boat that the bait board sits in.  I just  screwed a couple piecs of thick dowel to the board and sit them in those holders.

67558[/snapback]

Pedro,

That is a ripper of an idea.

Cheers

Trev

I have a couple holders at the back of the boat that the bait board sits in.  I just  screwed a couple piecs of thick dowel to the board and sit them in those holders.

67558[/snapback]

In the interim while I work something out...could they just be ties to the back of the trailer?

Dan

g'day guys,

I was talking to a auto elect down in batt st penrith and he has rigged his trailer and boat with LED lights he reckons he'll have no problem with lights any more as he said no bulbs to blow and completely water proof , one drawback there not cheap

i ve had same problem with trailer plugs sometimes they need a little prying open in the pins to get a good connection mine is like that it just needs a little tickle and shes firing as for driving without lights dont take the risk unless you wont your motor moved permanantly to a inboard theirs enough a thought for those who risk such a thing......ive only ever once rewired the whole trailer and its a shit of a job