Port Hacking - caught a couple, missed a couple

Yowie

On the water at first light this morning out from the mouth of Yowie Bay. Hooked a tailor on a pillie and the hook pulled out beside the boat, then only little reddies. Caught 2 small yellowtail and kept them as livies, then they stopped biting. Pulled out the 2 tailor on bonito strips.

Was using salted bonito strips on the bottom. When the reddies picked the bait off a handline, I was pulling the bare hooks back to the boat, when a solid hit grabbed the hooks and broke the line. Suspected a kingie. A short time later, my yellowtail handline took off, not a yellowtail but another kingie. Made short work of that 6lb line and busted off again.

A while later, I was retrieving bare hooks again on the handline, and another solid hit. This time I landed a kingie about 55cm.

When I pulled up the small reddies, just about every one was followed up by 1 or 2 small kingies.

Hooked up a yakka and sent it swimming, after a while it was hit with a fair run for several seconds but no hook up. Retrieved the yakka, hooks sticking out but no hook up for some reason, still kicking so sent it back out.

While it was swimming around, the pillie on the other rod takes off, hooked up and the fish swam to the surface and took off like a rocket, a bigger kingie which made a long run. While this was happening, the livie took off again, so I lifted that rod, hooked up and put the rod back in the holder while another kingie swam around for a little while, then spat the hooks again (2 circle hooks missed again) I could feel the yellowtail swimming around again (must have had a headache after those 2 hits) so left it to keep swimming.

I played the kingie on the pillie rod to near the boat, when the livie took off for a third time, so I grabbed that rod again, and hooked up again, put it back into the rod holder and let it play itself out from the boat. The kingie on the pillie was close to the boat by this time, and the line snapped, several metres above the hooks. The line was frayed for half a metre, it appeared to me that a tailor had swum into the line during the fight and frayed the line (have had that happen several times before, bloody tailor swim with their mouths open and into your line - considering all that water you are fishing in yet a stupid tailor manages to swim into your line)

Checked the livie rod and the line was slack. A clean cut through the line above the swivel. Not too happy by this time.

New circle hook rig tied on, out with the other livie and a hook up almost straight away. Another kingie, felt like a legal sized one, but when I pulled it up, it was hooked in the side of the head and only 61cm.

Went a bit quiet after that, and pulled out the bream, reddie and flounder on bonito strips. Headed for home.

post-13153-0-16202800-1422583638_thumb.jpg

Lots of action - so that makes for a good fishing trip. Even though a few good ones got away. And a few good keepers too.

You've got quite light line on the handline (I say this because I have 10kg line as I want to catch crab with this) - what do you normally plan to catch on that?

Lots of action - so that makes for a good fishing trip. Even though a few good ones got away. And a few good keepers too.

You've got quite light line on the handline (I say this because I have 10kg line as I want to catch crab with this) - what do you normally plan to catch on that?

My yellowtail line is 6lb mono with a small hook.

The other handline is 12lb mono, also use a 15lb handline as well. The rod for pillies is 11lb mono (a different brand to the handline as is of thinner diameter for casting), and the livey rod is 15lb mono.

Well done on the feed yowie. That's a lot of bust off and misses. Must have been very frustrating.

Yes, a pain in the arse, but thinking back to it, I did not swear too much. Must be getting old now. :074:

Good work yowie! At least you can get out for a fish. I'm pretty frustrated up here atm! And isn't it funny how two rods go off at once.

Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

It's not like you have 2 bream or whiting on both rods, you have 2 lunatic kingies trying to pull your arms off from both sides of the boat !!!

The water has a good colour to it, probably why the kingies were biting. Threw some scraps over and watched the rats grabbing them as they sank.