Finally getting the hang of Burrill Lake.

Holls

After 3 months living here, finally working out where/when what of fishing in Burrill Lake. Now catching some very good bream and worked out the flattie situation as well. Landed this big girl yesterday. Kept in a net beside the yak, she seemed to swim off ok. (Though recently I've found two very big girls 90-100 dead on the lake shore with fishing line inside them. One with a massive lure in its stomach may have broken off rather than released.)

post-33943-0-14575400-1423608307_thumb.jpg

post-33943-0-79762000-1423608314_thumb.jpg

Best bait is live poddies in my view, but I'm picking the odd one up with fresh tailor fillets (nice and bloody). Got a 40cm flattie the other day on an SP 3 inch minnow. Lot of hits on the SP but can't seem to jag em. Keep trying.

Thanks pauls, you been out on the lake lately, or do you fish outside?

I have not had much luck on the lake

Been fishing the entrance had some great whiting, see fish of the month December

Also got a my best flathead, see my posts

Regards

Realised I'm supposed to make a full report if I'm to be a contender for Fish of the Month! So here goes. I'm fairly new to southern NSW having come up to live from Victoria, so have been on a steep learning curve as to how to fish these totally different lake waters. Bought a 'yak and have been out on it many times, learning the waters, watching baitfish, the birds, and observing other fishers. Tried many different rigs, baits, SP's etc to limited success - a lot of small snapper, whiting, blackfish, tailor, bream (with a couple of keepers).

But finally, I've cracked the right spot, the right rigs and methods and my hook-up rate to some decent bream and flatties has greatly improved. On Feb 10th, I went out on the lake to my 'new' spot and soon began getting bites on poddy mullet (that I caught and kept in the freezer). At one point, I had a nice bite - and then nothing. (I like to leave the rod until I get a bit of a run.) So I went to wind in when I felt the heaviest weight! At first I thought I'd snagged a huge lump of seaweed or some other bottom detritus, but soon the line took off and clearly I had something huge on. It ran out on my drag many times as I kept retrieving what line I could (15lb braid, 15lb leader). I was sure it was a stingray - there are many in the lake, seen all the time around the shallows. But soon the colour appeared and I was surprised to catch sight of the hugest flathead I have ever seen! It dived again, and again, but finally I had it exhausted by the kayak. So now what??? I put my net under the front HALF of the fish and lifted it on board. She was a beauty! Finally I managed to get her into the mesh holding net that I keep over the side in the water. Rowed home for the photoshoot! I live with my wife right on the lake. Cheers, Holls.

• Like 1

Nice lizard mate!

Given the crap weather of late I will be trying out the lake a bit more as an option when the seas are rough. Good to see there are good fish about.

I went prawning with my nephews near the entrance to the lake and it looked great for flatties and bream so I will be getting along there on the weekend. The water had iridescent algae in it when we were there, something to look out for if you end up there at night. It was bright green when you trod on the sand near the water or kicked up a bit of spray - great for amusing the kids.

I went prawning with my nephews near the entrance to the lake and it looked great for flatties and bream so I will be getting along there on the weekend. The water had iridescent algae in it when we were there, something to look out for if you end up there at night.

Did you get any prawns? Haven't tried yet but I want to give that a go. The other lakes are firing as well I've been told - Narawallee Inlet and Lake Conjola. Good luck. Report back!

• 7 months later...

Did you get any prawns? Haven't tried yet but I want to give that a go. The other lakes are firing as well I've been told - Narawallee Inlet and Lake Conjola. Good luck. Report back!

Sorry Holls, transferred jobs and lost my account details so a hugely delayed response.

We only saw really small prawns on that trip but we were a bit early, the nephews are primary school age and the good tide time was around midnight, a bit late to stay up. As with any time I have been prawning the little ones seem to come out first and there were quite a few. I will be going back over the next few weeks so will let you know how I go.