pollution upstream of Liverpool weir

daniel944

Guest hawkesbass

During the last storm the sewrage treatment ponds at glenfield may have overflowed int the river.

This occured last year when we had a solid week of rain.

If Liverpool Council is responsible They should be heavily find. But seeing they are part of the investigating team I doubt that will happen.

As they have failed in the past to correct this issue nothing but a hefty find will change their attitude to the problem.

I doubt the EPA will take that action as they will as always accept the reason given and move on. This was the case when it recently happened .

Just talk to many of the locals in the area who did take the kids down there to play. They have been complaining for quite sometime.

I hope I am wrong.

Living in Liverpool, I actually drove over the bridge at the weir and noticed the water was in a terrible state. Then I read this.

4 tonnes of dead fish! How unbelievably sad. I remember catching my first eel in the fresh water part upstream of the weir. And bream from the weir.

Looking at those photos, most of the dead tonnage looks to be carp. So I don't think too many will be worried. But even the humble carp is a great fight and awesome fish to catch in the heavily urbanised, polluted, and typical city river these days.

How sad.

• 2 weeks later...