What for Shimano Curado baitcaster

tomskiboy

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I'm not sure is this topic has been touched so my apologies if I repeat on an old post.

I finally got the Mrs permission "hall pass" to splash out on some new gear and wish to try out baitcasting for a change after a lifetime of spinning.

I took the plunge and ordered a Shimano Curado 200 IHG (7.2:1) from the US as I couldn't find an Aussie supplier of the new "I" series.

Question is what rod to get. Main target species are Bream and Flatties around Pittwater and Hawkesbury with some annual trips up to Port Mac on the Hastings.

Not sure if I should start on a beginner rod I.e a $70 special or splash out on something sub $250 using my fishing "hall pass"

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

T

I bought a $30 Jarvis Walker Tough tip III to go with my baitcaster reel.

Its my first one and I'm still learning. I figured that if I couldn't

get the hang of it, then I didn't want to spend too much.

Plus it came with a voucher so that for $10 I also got a JW watch and

pair of sunglasses.

Still getting birds nests but not as many and my casting is improving

I just chase fish, not any particular type. ;-)

Hi Slinky,

I'll only be using hard and soft plastics.

My fishing type is 3/4 land based and 1/4 from boat.

I like to go walking around river banks and look for good spots close to shore, wether it be near bank structure or casting under adjacent overhanging trees.

A couple of people I know that are good with bait casters are recommending using braid

ont hem too.

Not tried it myself, but I've got some spare. Had another go with mine yesterday and i'm getting better

although, not surprisingly, I can cast further with my two piece catan and spin that my 5'6 baitcaster

Would braid spool off better anyone know?

Hi Tomskiboy,

Braid on the baitcaster should give you an improvement on casting distance due to its limpness, as well as being able to put more line on the spool with the braid's thinner diameter. Your rod choice sound OK. Just make sure you take the reel with you and talk to the people at the tackle store.

I used to have all the trouble in the world with my first baitcaster, with bird nest and the like. As a result, only used it to drop a bait overboard if I went out on a boat, which was seldom. Nost of the time, the baitcaster sat in it's box, unemployed.

Then I attended a talk by Rod Harrison, the fishing journo. He showed that to start with, turn any magnet or centripidal type casting drag system right back. Turn the spool tension knob up so that when you have the reel in free spool, ready to cast, the line should fall to the ground when you let the spool go, without any overun on the spool. This can be a bit finicky to get right, but better to overdo it slightly. Make sure that you have enough weight in the terminal tackle. Don't fish too light. You should then be able to cast without even thumbing the spool at all. The spool should stop turning the moment your line hits the water.

At first, you won't cast all that far, but as you progress, your casting distance will improve and you'll be able to back off the spool tensioner slightly and make fine adjustments with the casting drag system. I love using my baitcaster now. I'm still not firing off casts like a pro, but my distance is improving and I'm starting to catch fish with it.

Hi Tomskiboy, good advise from Grey Nurse. I would still start off by thumbing the line as the lure reaches the water and be patient. Get an old lure and remove the hooks and practise casting to an object. As you become more proficient cast to an object further away. I use low profile baitcasters fishing for freshwater natives. Good luck, let us know how you go. Neil.

Thanks GreyNurse and Neil. I finally got my rod on the weekend. Spent a bit of time in the store. Was suprised at the massive price range $600 (Daiwa) to $80 (zamaki). Spoke to 2 guys in the store where I explained my situation ( budget, experience and goals). They were very helpful and patient. Ended up getting a Rapala baitcasting rod (6-12lb line) from there bargain / clearance rack. Main reason for choosing this one was how it feels in the hand , price and feel of the tip.

I really like GreyNurses idea a will practice this week in the local park.

I promise to send out a fishing report after my first use on the water (end of March at Port Mac).

Thanks again guys.