Who has a 2nd motor on their boat?

fredflathead

I have just put a 90p ETEC Evinrude on my Caribeen Crest Cutter.

The ETEC runs on petrol and I have a 9.9hp as a 2nd motor for safety. I have used it several times over 20yrs that I have had the boat.

I fish the Hawkesbury and seldom go outside around Lion Island, now with the brand new motor do I need the 2nd motor as the other motors were 2nd hand and old. (have replaced 2 in 20yrs).

For safety regs I will need to put in some paddles as I had before, I put 9.9 on.

The main tank is 72lt and I had a 25lt as reserve now it will be for the 9.9 with 2stroke petrol.

How many people have a 2nd motor?

Thanks Norm

I wanted one on my new boat but the salesman talked me out of it.

He said today's new motors are so reliable that its just a waste of space.

Having said that a fuel leak after a service made my motor a little difficult to start and idle so I guess there are no

guarantees even on a new motor.

He added that nearly all issues are battery or fuel issues but it occured to me that the auxillary motor can use a stand alone fuel tank and would most likely have

a pull start and stand alone electrics.

My next boat will be more suited to offshore and will probably have twin motors.

Cheers

Jim

I had a second motor on mine for a while.

Main reason was that the main wasn't working

very well till hughy fix it.

I haven't put it on since. Main issue for me is that

it was 100:1 while the main was 50:1, and they were

different manufacturers so the tank fittings weren't the same.

If I was going outside, I'd put it back on for sure.

One other thing I've just remembered, when I had to use it

its not the easiest thing to do, sitting on the back using the

tiller steering, and that was a fairly calm day too!

Edited by antonywardle

Thanks for the replies.

It will be a stand alone and proably not used, however if I was going outside I could put it back on. A good suggestion.

I knew someone would come up with a good idea. I don't need to carry the extra weight when towing and on the water.

I frequently go offshore and I have two motors. Main Mercury 200HP EFI, second Mariner 15HP 4-Stroke.

When I bought the boat it had a 225 Yamaha -- I did not know its history. So the 15HP was added as a "safety" auxiliary - it was cheaper than repowering which I could not afford at the time.

Later when I repowered the main with the new 200HP Merc, I decided to keep the 15HP as I found that not only was it a safety feature, it was a good offshore trolling motor - quiet and ran on the smell of an oily rag. It will push my rig along in the 6-10km/h range depending on conditions.

Since the 200HP EFI two stroke mixes the oil from a separate oil reservoir, it takes a clean fuel feed from the main tank - same as the 15HP 4-Stroke. So I don't need to worry about separate tanks.

I have also linked the two motors so they both "steer" off my hydraulic ram - its just a mater of tilting up the motor that I don't want to use to reduce drag.

PS - I agree with the previous comment that most issues are electrical - so being somewhat paranoid in this area I have 3 batteries across the back - with switches to isolate or connect any combination. Can't have enough redundancy when you are 40km offshore ! Now what to do about the single fuel tank??????

it all depends

remoteness of location - ie is there coastguard coverage and how many other boaties out there to help you.

the type of fishing- i use to troll headlands a bit and of main failed well your smashed on the rocks if you cant get a anchor down and get it to hold

all engines can and have failed, as said above its what feeds the engines that is more likely to fail poor fuel wiring batteries

I always offshore frequently well out of sight of land so redundancy of all things to get me home is important

I have a Noosacat

So isolated systems, twin motors fuel and electrical systems if one goes down

Radio and satellite phone

All things very new so no breakdown issues but all it takes is for me to collide with something in water like a tree trunk or something and rip one prop off then I can still get home on one of my twin 150s