looking into upgrading my motor any help

stevex

Hey all i have a 5.4 quintrex spirit and it has a yamaha v4 115hp 2 stroke very strong motor and has never let us down but we are thinking of a upgrade to a 4 stroke motor been told the suzuki have a good 115hp 4 stroke very fuel economic and quiet but unsure can anyone point me in the right direction as to wats best and where in sydney west to buy and get it installed aby help would be great

I rang i dealer near me and he said there was a boat show on the weekend and 4 the next few day he has show specials for a suzuki 115hp 4 stroke installed for 14g usually 17g not sure if its true tho

If your current motor is running great why are you looking to spend 14-15 k to put a 4 stroke on of the same size?

If it's for the fuel economy you will have do be doing a hell of a lot of boating to get your money back.

The 4 stroke might also be significantly heavier then your current motor.

All moden outboards are good quality. But make sure you find a good dealer that is easily accessible and will back you if you have issues.

Thanks overdraft never thought of it like that and yeah wanted something more fuel efficient my yamaha drink alot is there something i can to to improve it i might book it in for a service and hopefully helps it a bit.

How much would you get for your old engine?

If its going well, i'd be inclined to keep it until it

starts costing you too much money in repairs

and servicing.

Remember that buy the new engine is only part of it,

you have to get the old one off, remove all the gauges

and then fit all the new stuff too.

Would you be able to reuse the same fuel tank?

I have just put a 90hp Evinrude ETEC on my boat.

My old motor was a 115hp Johnson that was 20yrs old we replaced about $500 worth of items to get the motor going (impeller, power pack and thermostat).

My brother in law is a marine engineer so the labour cost nothing, I had a heart attack and was in hospital for 4 days so when I got out of hospital we decided to put it in for a service we had it with the problems , they took the head off and found a piston scored that is why it was giving us problems.(We did not want to take the head off) The quote was 20hrs to rebuild and about $4000 in cost.

The wife and I decided to replace the motor as we like the hull and it is in good condition, this is now a cost of $12000 and boating for the next 5yrs hopefully. There was a Yamaha for $5000 second hand and anbout 5 yrs old, it meant that I could be in the same situation in about 3yrs.

You do have to replace guages, fuel filter and throttle this was included in the price, I ask what would the old motor be worth, it was worth nothing.

I am retired and have the money and needed to get rid of some so it worked out ok. I dont drink, smoke and don't spend money silly.I love my boating!!!!

I nearly had another heart attack when the wife said go ahead and put on a new motor.

norm

Edited by fredflathead