Quintrex 475 cuddy cabin, 60 hp four stroke-underpowered?

Swivelfish

Hi. I am looking at a quintrex bay ranger caprice, 475 cuddy cabin. The seller has a four stroke efi 60 hp mercury on the back. Do u guys think this is a little underpowered..or is it kosher?! I am not blue water fishing but like to get to the 40 metre mark and often come home in 15 knots plus. Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Guest no one

My 60hp Merc Bigfoot goes 45mph in a fat assed glass boat with 2 95kg guys in it with all our gear, which is probably going to make is almost twice as heavy as a aluminium boat...

teflon that speed off gps ?

i had a 70hp johno 2 stroke on a 4.8m ally stacer i could only top out at 65kph
one of the more powerful two stroke with less weight and it was getting a lower speed then the 73kph yours is getting,

even my cruise craft explorer 500 with a 90hp johnson 2 stroke a 1.7l monster wouldnt go over 63kph

60hp was the max hp for the 475 caprice
may struggle with max capacity on board but in a boat that size you would only be fishing 2 up outside so should be ok

what year model merc

Edited by Juggs

Guest no one

That speeds off my speedo on my dash which we worked out to be very accurate with a speed/distance test.

With the right trim I'm sure it's got more!

It's a Mercury Bigfoot, so has the gear size of a 115hp although it's only a 60hp. I even got a vid from sats session! I'll try and upload.

Motor is 2002. Hull is probably similar, millenium hull. I personally reckon it will struggle with two teenagers, self plus wife...plus a bit of gear...thanks for input so far. I seen the 475 spirit with a 75hp, seemed like a better option. Cheers.

Yep, this all helps. Thanks. I think the answer is to sea trial the wee beastie, take 2 x 100l eskies, trial her solo or 2 up, then fill the eskies with water and see how she fares. Onya.

4 persons in a boat that size is stretching its limits....maybe go one size up to the 5 mt class plus you wont need to wear a lifejacket all the time when solo as your boat will be bigger than 4.85 mt...but solo is always time to wear your lifejacket IMHO

I have a 475 Bayranger Caprice, cuddy, 2000 model so the exact same boat. Mine was new with a 70hp yammie. Perfect 1 up, OK with 2 adults but performance starts to go down with 3. OK for a few hours for a family day, 2 adults + 2 kids. I am also considering a 4 stroke but the extra weight will impact performance at 70 or 75hp. A 60 fourstroke will definitely have less oomph but for 1 or 2 adults it might be OK.

As mentioned min HP there and if you are only going to use with a couple of people, that is two in total. it will struggle or need to rev very hard to cruise with 3-4 people on board so any engine working hard makes noise and drinks fuel. As you said why not go for a run and IF you like it and it is priced right enjoy it. At the end of the day, what someone thinks is good performance is different to the next person.

4 persons in a boat that size is stretching its limits....maybe go one size up to the 5 mt class plus you wont need to wear a lifejacket all the time when solo as your boat will be bigger than 4.85 mt...but solo is always time to wear your lifejacket IMHO

Yeah mate, its lifejacket on in my boat. No matter what.

I have a 475 Bayranger Caprice, cuddy, 2000 model so the exact same boat. Mine was new with a 70hp yammie. Perfect 1 up, OK with 2 adults but performance starts to go down with 3. OK for a few hours for a family day, 2 adults + 2 kids. I am also considering a 4 stroke but the extra weight will impact performance at 70 or 75hp. A 60 fourstroke will definitely have less oomph but for 1 or 2 adults it might be OK.

Awesome feedback mate. Onya.

Re-reading my post I wasnt clear that the 70hp I bought with the boat was a 2-stroke.

I also read that although the hull is rated to 175kg for the motor, it isnt recommended to go past 140kg as performance will suffer.

Good info mate. I have seen 90's two stroke on the back of these too. Cheers!

these boats were max 60 from the factory

its now a fineable offense by rms and water police for going over the hp rating on a compliance plate

3 points around 175 dollars from memory

Probably the first time I'll ever say this then...'lucky I'm in NZ'.......!

Water police...OMG......They dont even need a licence over here...you can imagine the carnage on the working channels!

Hi mate, I've got a 475 topender with a 60hp high thrust yammie on the back. Pretty sure it's the same hull, I don't consider it underpowered and can carry 3 adults and 2 kids no problem. Load it up with 5 big blokes and gear, you'll feel it, but then it's probably overloaded. Top speed is about 50km.

Hi mate, I've got a 475 topender with a 60hp high thrust yammie on the back. Pretty sure it's the same hull, I don't consider it underpowered and can carry 3 adults and 2 kids no problem. Load it up with 5 big blokes and gear, you'll feel it, but then it's probably overloaded. Top speed is about 50km.

Is she a cuddy cabin mate?

That speeds off my speedo on my dash which we worked out to be very accurate with a speed/distance test.

With the right trim I'm sure it's got more!

It's a Mercury Bigfoot, so has the gear size of a 115hp although it's only a 60hp. I even got a vid from sats session! I'll try and upload.

45mph, extremely doubtful, maybe kilometres per hr but not miles.

Oh really? Can link you a video then after you see it come back here and have an apology?

I think your speedo is off mate, unless 60hp outboards are spinning 19-21 pitch props at 6000rpm these days.

What pitch prop and what rpm are you seeing at the "45mph"?

Gearbox ratio 2.33?

An educated guess would put your top speed around 35mph with 14-16 pitch props.