Lowrance hook 7 creating interference on vhf

Swivelfish

I have a lowrance hook 7, when i have the sounder-transducer on 200khz or high chirp, I get a very heavy buzzing thru any vhf channel i am monitoring or using, i have to change to 'maps' or turn the whole unit off to even broadcast... Radio is on its own seperate power source (seperate battery), aerial lead is away from electrics, and i have tested a new power cable, which made no difference. Radio is over 1 m away from aerial. Aerial has been checked for seals etc and is ok. If i switch to 50khz, then the buzzing stops....has anyone had experience with similar issues or have a possible solution?

driving me crazy! TIA. 

Edited just now by Swivelfish 
Typo

54 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

Sounds like you are suffering some EMI, get some shielding to wrap your tranny cable, and if you want you can wrap your finder power cable also.

Cool, will have to look into this, I thought the cables were shielded from factory.

Hey swivelfish. The transducer cable is most Likley inducing the interference into either your aerial or power supply cable for the radio. Seperate these where you can also I think there called ferrite rings you can run the cable through to Obsorb some of the interference. 

Power supplies together should not be an issue but transducer cable should be isolated where possible. Good luck doing that in the confines of a boat. 

Edited by Flickn Mad
Typo

any luck Swivelfish.  I've got the same problem. the icom radio worked fine in my last boat with a garmin sounder but the new boat with a lowrance sounder a lot of interference, all interference. I've tried lifting the antenna a foot and has made some difference but if I have my hand on the bottom of the antenna the interference goes away.

16 hours ago, crashdocker said:

any luck Swivelfish.  I've got the same problem. the icom radio worked fine in my last boat with a garmin sounder but the new boat with a lowrance sounder a lot of interference, all interference. I've tried lifting the antenna a foot and has made some difference but if I have my hand on the bottom of the antenna the interference goes away.

No luck as yet mate, weather has been so shit here, havent been game to get into boat electrics!

i had a guy come round to check it out, we set the vhf to weather channel then disconnected the transducer cable, followed by the power cable from the lowrance, as he tipped the unti up and disconncted the cable, we could hear the interference caused straight away..i am going to jaycar tomorrow to chck out the ferrite rings...first step anyway...

So..i fitted inline ferrite things to power and transducer cables..no change...took my handheld on board, it too picked up the interference especially when switching from 50 to 200khz. I am Testing on the hard using weather channel to monitor..time for a marine tech methinks?!

thanks for your help everyone.

Try isolating/moving the tranny cable to a location on its own. If the interference is still happening there might be a fault in the tranny install. 

The interference happening with the handheld points to a faulty connection.

my problem seems to be that the sounder and radio were connected to the same circuit on a 3 amp fuse.  When I got the boat I removed the gme radio and connected my icom radio to the same circuit. on the weekend I went to log in with the local coast watch and blew the fuse.  I change the 3 amp fuse to a 10 amp and things improved and today I wired the radio to its own 10 amp circuit.  No interference so far.  I thought the original wiring would of been correct but I should of checked.  Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
On 23 February 2017 at 1:03 AM, crashdocker said:

my problem seems to be that the sounder and radio were connected to the same circuit on a 3 amp fuse.  When I got the boat I removed the gme radio and connected my icom radio to the same circuit. on the weekend I went to log in with the local coast watch and blew the fuse.  I change the 3 amp fuse to a 10 amp and things improved and today I wired the radio to its own 10 amp circuit.  No interference so far.  I thought the original wiring would of been correct but I should of checked.  Good luck

Thanks bud, i am still working through the issue!

i have radio on separate circuit, but i think u raise a good point here...not to assume that the original harness is correctly installed etc...

thats gold. Thanks heaps!

On 19 February 2017 at 10:41 PM, Lungfai76 said:

Try isolating/moving the tranny cable to a location on its own. If the interference is still happening there might be a fault in the tranny install. 

The interference happening with the handheld points to a faulty connection.

Yep. Good point.

dunno if i have enough transducer cable to re route it away from the main harness..but i will give this a shot!

On 16 February 2017 at 11:32 PM, crashdocker said:

Which model lowrance gave u the interference mate?