Lake Macquarie (late report 29/3/15)

Dave_

G'day Raiders,

Went to Lake Mac last weekend, the Mrs booked a cheap weekend away online. We didn't do a lot of fishing, mostly just relaxing but me and the young fella got up early on the Sunday morning and had a flick off one of the jetties where we were staying in the hope of a Whiting.

I caught some little prawns in my trap the night before so we used them with tiny sinkers and needle sneck hooks. It wasn't long before we had our first of many small whiting to 25cm, both sand and the ones with the dark blotches on them (trumpeter?).

These were mixed in with baby Tarwhine and Sanpper by the dozen. A big school of fish were hanging around the pylons under the jetty, chasing smaller bait fish. These turned out to be a type of small herring, very similar to what I've caught in cast nets in Far North Queensland. I cut one up for bait and the young fella threw out a strip. In no time at all he's on and we're calling it for a decent Bream but up comes a legal Snapper at 31cm....wow...didn't expect that at all!

Just as the sun was coming up, we seen some surface activity just within casting distance. I tied on a 28g metal and cast as far as I could. 3 or 4 casts for no touches until I decided to let it sink. Something smashed it on the drop and I'm calling big Tailor or reasonable Salmon. After a strong fight I couldn't believe my eyes, it was a big Mullet. I thought I'd surely jagged it but no, straight in the gob. Unbelievable, I can't say I've seen that before!

Time ran out and we had to go. It was a strange yet fun little sesh, I guess that's part of the fun of fishing!

Cheers

Dave

post-32123-0-83412700-1428299029_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-05355800-1428299060_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-00160100-1428299106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave_