Getting out fished by my 83 year old Dad

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"83 year old raider out fishes everyone!!!! Bless him."

whiskey299 was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 300 points.

Today’s conditions was as forecasted to be overcast and a slight breeze in the morning, with the wind picking up after midday to about 10knots.

We filled up on live yakkas on an improvised livewell and headed out to hunt some reef species.

The fishing in the morning was slow, the current reasonably strong and we needed to use a 4 ounce sinker or heavier.

The captain and I struggled, but my Dad who just seemed to have all the skill and luck today consistently pulled snapper after snapper.

I ended up being a fishing deckhand for him for most of the morning. Netting, unhooking, ikejime, bleeding and bait prep!

By midday the fishing started to pick up for the rest of us as we hopped around the reef ranging in 35-60m.

We even had a triple hookup of 3 different species, trag, snapper and marble flathead all at the same time.

We had one of our favourite but unhealthy goto lunches, canned corn beef and rice.

Overall a great seafood basket to feed many families which I call the #fishdistributionsystem

Gear used:

Rod: Daiwa TD Black V2 Mangrove Masher 642MFS
Reel: Daiwa 21 Caldia MQ LT3000
Line: #tasline Elite PE1 (15lb)
Leader: Sunline FC Rock 20lb
Hook: 1/0 #gamakasu octopus circle hook
Bait: yakka strip

Rod: Kyorim Seafighter 2 702 SPML
Reel: #daiwa BG 2500
Line: #tasline elite PE0.6 (12lb)
Leader: #sunline FC Rock 12lb
Hook: 2/0 #gamakasu octopus hook
Bait: yakka strip

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-13 at 8.10.02 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-13 at 8.10.04 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-13 at 8.10.04 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-13 at 8.10.06 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-13 at 8.10.07 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-13 at 8.10.07 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-13 at 8.10.07 AM (1).jpeg

• Like 15

What a brilliant feed (a lot of cleaning there). Thanks so much for sharing @whiskey299, the fact that you are still fishing with your dad (who probably got you started on the adventure we love so much) is testament to his skill and the quality of your relationship - I trust there are more trips in the future - the time that you invest in family, is repaid many times over.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:45 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

These are the reports I love!

Bless your 83 year old Dad. I bet he is a little tired today but he will be feeling very pleased with himself.

Great captures there for everyone and feeds for your family @whiskey299

Thanks Donna

On 1/13/2024 at 2:37 PM, Yowie said:

A good mixed bag of reef fish, the reddies being the best.

Yes reddies are great, morwongs are not the best, my dad actually doesn't mind them eaten sashimi, the larger models are not great eaten this way as there are too many muscle fibres. Next time I get some I will try them in fish cakes lol.

On 1/13/2024 at 5:34 PM, big Neil said:

Excellent report whiskey299. How good would you feel seeing your 83 y/o Dad having the best days fishing. Good on him, good on you too. Well done, bn

He had a fantastic time. He's the one who got me started when I was a teenager, We would fish and scuba dive every weekend when we lived in Papua New Guinea.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:41 PM, Larkin said:

Good on him for getting out there! 👍
Must of taken at least a few hours cleaning all those!

It certainly did, thank goodness I didn't take much fish home.

On 1/14/2024 at 6:19 AM, Pickles said:

What a brilliant feed (a lot of cleaning there). Thanks so much for sharing @whiskey299, the fact that you are still fishing with your dad (who probably got you started on the adventure we love so much) is testament to his skill and the quality of your relationship - I trust there are more trips in the future - the time that you invest in family, is repaid many times over.

Thanks Bob! He lives in Brisbane so when visiting I'll always try to schedule a fishing trip. His mobility and balance isn't great these days so we can only fish on his friends boat on a calm day. He used to be a hardcore fisherman in his younger days, every weekend was all about trolling, reef fishing and scuba diving the wrecks in Papua New Guinea.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, whiskey299 said:

He used to be a hardcore fisherman in his younger days, every weekend was all about trolling, reef fishing and scuba diving the wrecks in Papua New Guinea.

I knew it! 95% of the time when you encounter a great fisho like you, there’s significant family pedigree there!

• Like 1