Squid Jigging Video

Nolongeramember

I've never understood these type of jigging methods.

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/japanese-squidding-experts-show-how-it-s-done

In this clip the guy jigs four quick times in a row. I don't get how any 'jig' after the first one does anything to make the jig move. If I do what he's doing, the line is slack after the first jig because the jig hasn't had time to sink.

Edited by Roylo

I've watched a few squid videos myself and the way he does it is instead of using the handle to wind, he uses the rod to wind the handle and whilst doing those 4 quick flicks,some line is taken in an allows the jig to move again but probably with less action than the 1st flick

Correct me if I'm wrong guys

I've watched a few squid videos myself and the way he does it is instead of using the handle to wind, he uses the rod to wind the handle and whilst doing those 4 quick flicks,some line is taken in an allows the jig to move again but probably with less action than the 1st flick

Correct me if I'm wrong guys

I think this is correct. you leave your hand on the handle still and the hand holding the rod winds it around the still hand while imparting the jigging action. but im no expert happy to be corrected

Essentially yes, its somewhat hard to get the hang of at first but to get that jig darting around on the 2nd, 3rd jigs etc you do need to get that slack line up a bit. It's very similar to working a surface lure for Whiting, where you are winding and manipulating the rod tip to get that walking the dog motion. Its more extreme though and it is very effective for Squid, tell you what though, your arm hurts like hell after a few hours of doing it!

There are quite a few more You Tube clips with that same young guy in it about Squidding, mainly in the Port Hacking. Worth having a look at.

Windy

Hi,

I've been using a variation on this for a few years. Rather than rod tip up I use the rod tip down wherever possible.

As he said in the video let the jig countdown to the water depth you want and then wind in the slack. When you are ready do a short jab (say 30cm travel) away from the jig with the tip of the rod. As you return the rod to the start position take ONE wind on the reel the handle. I bring the handle back to the same point every time and my finishing point is the closest point to the butt of the rod. I repeat this in quick succession usually 3 times but you can go 4.

WHY: As you do the jab the squid jig darts and then veers slightly to one side as the pressure comes off the rod and you wind in the short amount of slack. The second jab causes it to dart again and move to the other side. The third dart brings it back towards the first direction. The jig travels less than a metre in a direct line towards you but the left and right darting motion really gets the squid's attention. The pause (say 4 seconds) after the 3 or 4 darts gives the lure a chance to slowly settle back to the same depth and gives the squid the chance to grab the lure.

Practice it when you can get pretty close to the water line but not damage your rod tip (or switch to the lifted rod tip technique). A boat jetty is a good example of a place you can practice this. It will feel uncoordinated for a little while but concentrate on the short jab/sweep and single wind and as the jig gets close to you watch the way it darts in the water.

Edited by DerekD