How useful

Fab1

its easy for them who dont chip in are the ones that ask if I will take them fishing for years after without getting an invite.

My good friends without fail chip in every trip so if some one doesn't chip in I feel guilty that my mates chip in and others dont.

I offer to pay on someone else's boat and if the refuse petrol money then that means they are owed a trip out on my boat. As for my mates without boats they are usually pretty on the ball with chipping in for fuel bait etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My take on this one is strong:

If you are invited on board a tub as you don't own one.

1/ Pay for fuel. (boat owner has a lot more expenses other than a dribble of fuel)

2/ Bust your bum to see the captain does as little as possible.

3/ Do a deckies job confidently (or try)

4/ Most captains appreciate a nice lunch and a drink being made for them, (but some don't hey--> Stewie)

5/ Always say goodbye not before, the boat and gear is in dry mode after a wash.

JD.

Had a mate that no matter what would always have something to do when we hit dock side. Same bloke always had to go somewhere when it was his shout.....

Great idea but if you have to remind them they are not worth taking out again...

Guest 4myson

It's worse when you take Family out (Brother In-laws) not only do they not chip in or help with the wash down BUT expect to be picked up & dropped off !! As they say , You can choose your friends but not your Family ....

1/ Pay for fuel. (boat owner has a lot more expenses other than a dribble of fuel)

4/ Most captains appreciate a nice lunch and a drink being made for them, (but some don't hey--> Stewie)

5/ Always say goodbye not before, the boat and gear is in dry mode after a wash.

JD.

In all honesty Dave is a great asset aboard the boat with plenty of good humour as well and not to mention a fine fisherman and always pays his way and definitely goes the extra yards when I broke my trailer lights he got me a new set and wired them all up before he went home ....now that's the type of person to take on your fishing trips

Guest no one

JD.

Top man!!!

My deckie is exactly the above, except he's leaving to go back to NZ next week. Going to be hard to replace him!

As long as someone is prepared to be the 'anchor man' and help clean all the rubbish out at the end of the session, that's all i ask for.....

Im not gona bother asking people for petrol money when im gona be out in the boat as well. And to be honest, how much $$ worth of petrol will you go through in a day?? $20 maybe??

Im not gona lose any sleep over that amount!!

How long does it take to clean the boat when i home?? Maybe half hour?? Im really not to concerned if nobody wants to follow me home and hold a hose.......

Maybe buy some bait, maybe bring some drinks, and make me laugh and enjoy the day and thats all i ask for :D (as well as being the anchor slave ;)).

But in saying all of that, my mates that i take out with me most of the time are pretty good. One bloke buys the bait, another bloke brings the food and drink, and the other bloke cooks the bbq and is the anchor boy.

We also have a punt on the horses whilst were out there too, so we have to use their betting accounts and their phones as well.... ;):D

I think there are so many scenarios that the only correct answer is to ask the skipper what would he like.!

Weather skipper or crew if you feel you have been let down or taken advantage of there won't be a return!

But there are advantages for both skipper and crew when going out.

I've had the privilege to be on both ends of the deal.

I've been asked for peanuts when I know the trip has cost a fortune and declined payment because I feel what goes around comes around.

Only once have I presumed on a contribution. And then realised the error of my action and followed up to make good ( but was told my tackle box contribution was fine)

Boats and fuel cost money and time. Be prepared to play your part. And enjoy the fishing experience that the skipper or crew member has helped archive.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

I think it all depends on what, when, who & where..

For instance - If I am fishing locally with the son in law, he is the deckie and when we gat back we share a beer ( 1 each, not half a can) while cleaning the boat.

A weekend away with the mates - I bring the boat and they pay for fuel & bait. When we get back - I wash the boat.

If its just me and the wife, she backs the trailer and I do everything else - but having a wife that can back the trailer is great.

And as was said earlier, enjoy the experience regardless.....

Always offer for fuel, bait and to wash the boat down. It's the skippers choice accept any or all.

If your the decky, you've got the anchor and if there's a couple of deckies, the young fellas getting it!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I bring the boat and buy petrol. $10 a trip. My mates buy the bait and if I agree, they bring some snack and help me to clean the boat after the trip. Sometimes they give me money for petrol, but I usually refuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intresting comments fellas,but the thing that comes up over and over not just on this forum but all others aswell is a lot of you guys seem to suffer from anchor phobia.

Surely you guys that fish the deep use a windlass or atleast a retrieval system and buoy?

Personally I don't see the big deal if I were to get stuck on anchoring duties.

And just for the record if I invite someone to come out I don't expect anything as I would be going out anyway.

I always go out with a full tank of fuel in the car/boat and have my own berley/bait and food supplies.

All they need is their own gear,lures,bait etc,kick back and relax.

I prefer to clean my own boat/gear in peace and setting and retrieving my own anchor etc.

When I go fishing I put the bait/food and clothes in the boat.

Then it's a matter of hitching up and I'm not stopping for nothing or anyone all the way there or back.

You could say I'm organised.

Guest 4myson

As long as someone is prepared to be the 'anchor man' and help clean all the rubbish out at the end of the session, that's all i ask for.....

Im not gona bother asking people for petrol money when im gona be out in the boat as well. And to be honest, how much $$ worth of petrol will you go through in a day?? $20 maybe??

Im not gona lose any sleep over that amount!!

How long does it take to clean the boat when i home?? Maybe half hour?? Im really not to concerned if nobody wants to follow me home and hold a hose.......

Maybe buy some bait, maybe bring some drinks, and make me laugh and enjoy the day and thats all i ask for :D (as well as being the anchor slave ;)).

But in saying all of that, my mates that i take out with me most of the time are pretty good. One bloke buys the bait, another bloke brings the food and drink, and the other bloke cooks the bbq and is the anchor boy.

We also have a punt on the horses whilst were out there too, so we have to use their betting accounts and their phones as well.... ;):D

$20 for fuel & half an hour to clean if you got a tinny ! Can't say the same for a 23 footer .....

Guest no one

$20 for fuel & half an hour to clean if you got a tinny ! Can't say the same for a 23 footer .....

Too right, $120 of fuel a trip and 8 hours worth of fish blood and guts to clean up, not to mention bits of food, rubbish, loose tackle... Not to mention the hardship of finding a street park when I get back, putting the cover on, alone, loading/unloading... Come on my boat - pull your weight cause God knows it's not easy doing everything that you're not around for on my own!

Not sure what your trying to say here blackblackfish?

Is it that you manage to fish for just a few dollars? Well done if you do mate. My fishing habit costs the majority of my spare cash.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

• 2 weeks later...

I think im with Fab1 with this

If Im going out and I ask someone to come with me,then if they offer a contribution then great

and no sweat if they don't. Cleaning the boat at the end of the day with a beer is very relaxing

for me.

I sometimes just like the company, and anyway, if my mate comes, he always brings beers.

Funny thing was both times he opened a beer, the police crusied past!