How long before its time to move on?

Fab1

I was scouring the net when someone basically asked,how long should you wait before you move on if your not getting any action fishing?

It got me thinking what I do.

I'm a firm believer that if I'm anchored up fishing in the right areas/tides etc for my "target" species with the right baits/rigs and i am berleying,if i haven't had a bite in 20-30min then perhaps it's time to up anchor and move in search of more productive waters.

The same goes for drifting,I will give it 4-5 drifts and move on.

There is always that doubt in my mind though that I may be leaving as the fish are about to come on the bite.

What do you guys do?Sit there like a mushroom for the duration of your session and hope for the best?or are you a little bit more active?

I've seen guys plugging away with lures to the same spot over and over for nothing,where the guys I've seen that fan their casts out a little more and move around a bit do much better.

Same with bait fishing,the guys that anchor baits down with enough lead to sink a ship generally don't do aswell as the guys that fish lightly waited moving rigs I've observed.

Your thoughts should be Intresting regardless of the type of fishing you do.

Cheers.

When fishing at Ettalong on the Central Coast where the current runs fast.I walk along the beach letting my bait move with the current using a small ball sinker covers more area than the blokes that use big sinkers and sit and wait.i get a good feed of flathead most times.

When using my kayak I just drift different with the current changing drift lines each time.

I fish as light as possible.

So I am a mover rather than sit and wait.

Yes, I'm a mover too. I fish with lures and fan an area which looks the goods. No interest then I'll move to another location, or I might swap lures and have another couple of casts and then move on. I figure they'll either bite or ignore, not go away and think about it and then come back for a chew.

Guest no one

Fly fishing a lake I'll do a whole circuit of the lake.

Bait fishing for fresh water I'll sit in one spot

On the boat - move unless I've invested enough burley or know the spot produces once burleyed yes hard

Guest 4myson

I agree with you Fab 1 , once I get a nice Berley trail going I'll give it a 1/2 hour if no action I move on ....

For me it all really depends how well I know the spot. If new to me then I might stay for up to three hours but moving around within area. This because each spot might be productive at different stage of the tide or time of the day.

If I know the spot well and have arrived at targeted time with the bait for the expected fish and some good burley, then I won't stay more than 45mins. I once moved spot every 20 mins and started to catch something after few changes.

Depending on the current or weather the fish might prefer to gather in different types of spots. Need to find where they are, but still sometimes they just won't bite...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk