Marine Rescue NSW urges caution in severe coastal weather

mrsswordfisherman

Date: 20 April 2015

Marine Rescue NSW urges caution in severe coastal weather

With almost the entire NSW coastline subject to severe weather warnings, Marine Rescue NSW strongly recommends boaters exercise extreme caution and avoid taking to the water for recreational boating.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued warnings for most of the NSW coast.

Tomorrow in the South, Eden coastal waters from the Victorian border to Narooma are subject to a Strong Wind Warning. This means winds averaging from 26 knots up to 33 knots (48-61 km/h).

Between Narooma and Sydney, and on the Coffs Coast between Trial Bay and Wooli, a Gale Warning has been issued. This represents winds from 34 to 47 knots (62-87 km/h). And the more extreme Storm Force Wind Warning with wind speeds between 48 and 63 knits (88-116 km/h) has been issued for the Hunter and Macquarie Coast from Gosford to Trial Bay.

Marine Rescue NSW Commissioner Stacey Tannos said winds at these levels represented a serious hazard to anyone on the water.

“Boaters should make safety their highest priority at all times but particularly in the kinds of conditions we are currently experiencing,” he said.

“Do not put your own safety at risk – or the safety of the emergency crews who will be called to your rescue should you find yourself in peril.

“If you do not have to be on the water, wait until these conditions subside later in the week before you head out.”

When better boating weather returns, Marine Rescue NSW reminds boaters to ensure everyone on board always wears a lifejacket.

Boaters should also Log On with their nearest Marine Rescue radio base so that someone responsible knows they are on the water – and can take rescue action in the event of an emergency.

The new MarineRescue App for smart phones allows boaters to Log On directly with Marine Rescue NSW and features a multitude of other valuable boating information.

"Urges Caution" that could be one of the understatements of the year. I will have to go to the marina in the morning to check the boat and I'm not looking forward to the walk along the floating pontoons never mind taking a boat out.

Anyone considering boating in the next few days should get some free accommodation in one of those small rooms with the padded walls and one of those jazzy white coats with the wrap around sleeves.

Guest no one

Oh and woke up to half a kitchen window... The vent fell out and left a massive hole.

Never seen Orange on willyweather

post-30931-14295652836254_thumb.jpg

Absolute war zone up here! Neighbour lost their roof as I was heading to work at 2am. It sounded like a bomb heading my way! Went back inside and changed my undies and drove to work. It was like a game of frogger, dodging trees, poles branches and anything else flying around. "Urges caution" lmao!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest no one

Left home at 7am to do my daily 30 drive to work - 5 hours later and I'm still 2kms away stuck on princes highway... 5 hours in a car to travel 10kms...

woke up this morning to find a tree had fallen on both my cars LUCKY only small dings on both PHEW then had panic attack about the pride and joy moored on Brissie waters GULP..... driving down Brissie water drive to see high tide and someones dream smashing against the rocks (poor boat) thinking hope my the old girl is ok then look out at lots of boats with damage to covers bows etc so I drive a bit faster and telling myself DON'T look out any more just drive more boats braking there ties to the moorings that haven't worked today in this weather,to get to see if my boat is still afloat and still attached. and when I turned the corner there she is wagging her butt in the wind still attached PHEW we live another day :banana: AND a Big thanks to the SES who came and cut the fallen tree to bits and cleanup after themselves

Edited by DavidA