dead bait options

cong

Hi all,

Normally off the beach I use the standard fare for bait (pilchards, squid, worms) but I've always wondered what other fish would make decent dead baits.

I've heard that mullet, tailor, salmon, and yakka fillets work ok when fresh but how would they fare after a couple weeks in the freezer? Maybe salting would help?

Fresh is always best but sometimes I just don't have time to catch bait before a session. Nowadays I can't go past a fishmonger without thinking what would make a decent bait.

Just curious what anyone else has tried.

Guest no one

I use tailor after it's been in the freezer for a couple of months, you just have to keep it pretty frozen else it turns to mush.

Salting is always a good option for long term storage. You need a good amount of salt, but done well. produces a nice firm bait that will last longer if there's a few pickers about. BTW, did you know tht our best known brand of salt is packaged in those red and white plastic containers in Italy?

I always keep a box of pilchards and prawns in the freezer so when I want to go fishing I've got some, but when I take them out of the box at the chosen location I get a bucket of salt water and tip them in it to soak up the salt. Chicken breast is another good option for catching bream or the occasional flathead.

Edited by Brendan_G

Yakka's freeze OK and make good bait and Salmon love a nice strip of Yellowtail. Slimy Mackerel are a top one too but require salting as they don't freeze real well. Striped Tuna also a top salted bait but doesn't freeze well.

I would recommend trying salting, best way to keep some of the flesh baits long term.

Another method (not as effective as salting) is to freeze the flesh in a block of Saltwater. Works wonderfully for prawns and pretty well for flesh baits.

Cheers

Windy

Thanks guys,

Sounds like I need to try salting out.

I suppose you just cut the fillets off the fish and layer them in salt in a bucket for a while till all the brine comes to the surface?

I read another method where you put the fish with the salt straight into the freezer but to me that would freeze the fish rather than salt it.

Guest 4myson

Easiest way I've found is to get a square plastic container with a lid (Don't use the kids lunch box) a layer of salt on bottom then lay your fillets or pilchards then salt again & so on Till you build up a few layers & then straight in the freezer . Give it at least a week before using , the longer the better. Make sure you pat dry your fillets / pilchards before salting & DONT be shy with the salt ......

Does the humble crab get a mention?especially when fishing the beach adjacent to a rocky outcrop.

I haven't fished the beaches for years but a good friend off mine put me on to chicken necks for bait.

We would bait up on gang hooks or singles and do quite well fishing seven mile beach for tailor,bream.

These days I feed them to my dogs as I no longer beach fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the humble crab get a mention?especially when fishing the beach adjacent to a rocky outcrop.

I haven't fished the beaches for years but a good friend off mine put me on to chicken necks for bait.

We would bait up on gang hooks or singles and do quite well fishing seven mile beach for tailor,bream.

These days I feed them to my dogs as I no longer beach fish.

thats an idear . would love to hear if anyone uses necks