Shimano Port Hacking 100 - fishing competition

Hi guys,

The Port Hacking 100 is coming up on the weekend of the 16th & 17th of May. All the usual categories but this year they are offering a cash prize of $50,000 to the biggest blue marlin over 180kg captured.

Get your entries in early as they are only taking 100 entry's in that category. Reef Magic will be entering.

Their terms & conditions are a classic - always wanted to take a polygraph (see below)

post-6936-0-90177100-1430278649_thumb.png

Cheers

Damo

Yeh, guys don't no why you would be tested. The major prize is a weighed hung Blue Marlin on the gantry at the club. The other prizes are just typical in a game comp. unfortunately people will cheat . I weighed a blue to win this comp, and this is hard to dispute. When the capture is weighed and pictured in front of a crowd and fish has been checked.

Troy

It has always been a well run comp. You often get boats where they may only have the minimum amount of anglers registered (paid to fish the comp) say 4 but they have 6 or 7 people on board. By the tournament rules the non registered people cannot partake the capture or tagging of any fish.

It will probably encourage boats to register all people on board and stop someone from missing out on the $50,000 because a non registered person with a rush of blood accidentally got involved.

Cheers

Damo

It has always been a well run comp. You often get boats where they may only have the minimum amount of anglers registered (paid to fish the comp) say 4 but they have 6 or 7 people on board. By the tournament rules the non registered people cannot partake the capture or tagging of any fish.

It will probably encourage boats to register all people on board and stop someone from missing out on the $50,000 because a non registered person with a rush of blood accidentally got involved.

Cheers

Damo

Hey Damo , been out of the comps for a few years. Thought it would have been cleaned up by now. Tag comps have always been a bit hit and miss. Kill comps have been pretty clean . Before I got out of the scene heart prob. Use to go down to Bermagui every year for the Yellowfin comp and have been to Bill Duntley Bill Collector fame a few times for drinks and dinner heard of a few stories where hed call foul fish in the Cairns comps Lexus etc. I fished a lot of comps in my time. And unfortunately have seen some very interesting situations in regards tag comps. The top teams take it very seriously and are professional. But you will always have newbies having a go thus the problem.

Yeh, guys don't no why you would be tested. The major prize is a weighed hung Blue Marlin on the gantry at the club. The other prizes are just typical in a game comp. unfortunately people will cheat . I weighed a blue to win this comp, and this is hard to dispute. When the capture is weighed and pictured in front of a crowd and fish has been checked.

Troy

I have heard they cheat in Mexico in the big money comps, what they do is form syndicates with several boats fishing in different locations for maximum coverage but only one boat is entered in the comp, if one or more of the boats in the syndicate get a weighable fish they transfer it to the boat that's entered and split the prize money if they win. I suppose these days the comp organizers could demand video footage of the fish being caught by the crew which is impossible to fake.

I was at the Dorado Shootout 2 years ago and the winner was disqualified for stuffing mackerel into the fishes mouth and stomach to get the weight up, A Marine Biologist checks all the winning fish and they got busted, there was no digestive juice or teeth marks on the mackerel. Ironic thing was that even without the mackerel stuffed inside it was still easily the biggest fish, they would have won $150K. Cheaters never prosper :)

Making a fisherman pass a polygraph test to claim a prize, you gotta see the funny side of that :)

Good luck on weekend boys. Hoping to hear some reports, as after a month of crap weather, I think there is a lot of us trailer boat game fishers keen to have a crack next week.