Trailer - bar holding\in between wheels

The Incredible Hull

Hi Raiders,

So there's a bar that both wheels are connected to (I don't know what it is called). On the outside of this bar, it looks really rusted.

However every other part of my trailer doesn't looked rusted at all, I think all other parts are galvanized steel.

Can someone tell me what this bar is made out of and why it has rusted so much?

Is the bar itself hollow or is it solid steel? (assuming its solid or it would have snapped by now)

Should I replace the bar with a solid galvanized steel? Or is it not a big deal? Cause it has been like since I first bought the boat (2nd hand) which was maybe 4 years ago now.

Thanks all for the input.

Here's a picture if its of any help:

post-18882-0-56676900-1431211431_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Hi Raiders,

So there's a bar that both wheels are connected to (I don't know what it is called). On the outside of this bar, it looks really rusted.

However every other part of my trailer doesn't looked rusted at all, I think all other parts are galvanized steel.

Is the bar itself hollow or is it solid steel? (assuming its solid or it would have snapped by now)

Should I replace the bar with a solid galvanized steel? Or is it not a big deal? Cause it has been like since I first bought the boat (2nd hand) which was maybe 4 years ago now.

Thanks all for the input.

Here's a picture if its of any help:

IMG_0162.JPG

The bar with the v in it is your crossmember and further back is your axle.The crossmember is galvanised square tubing while the axle is solid steel.Many trailers rust out there crossmembers as salt water dries it leaves salt crystals behind eating out your trailer from the inside out.

The last crossmember is the worst for this as it gets imersed the most from launching/retrieval.

Depending how bad it is it can be cleaned up with a wire wheel on a grinder and painted with cold gal paint or similar for a few more years of service as it takes a while to weaken them significantly to cause any drama bearing in mind its being dissolved from the inside out.

What rust you see on the outside is only the tip of the iceburg of how bad the insides are.

I'd replace both that crossmember and axle if it were my trailer for peace of mind.

Try our site sponsors for a new one also as they may be able to help.

If they can't help perhaps its better to purchase a new galvanised one from a trailer supplier as in your case its simply bolts on/off.(lots if trailers have welded cross members.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1

That bar is the axel. It is solid steel but yours is looking fairly rusted out.

I don't know why but most trailers I have seen have this bar non coated, just bare metal. Does anyone know why?