The best way to go about it

garfield28

Hi all,

Problem #107 :ranting2:

I have started to install a new Fish finder in my boat and have started with the transducer, the problem I have is that I couldn't find a suitable spot above the water line to make the hole to insert the end of the transducer cable, I now have a hole in my transom and I'm wondering the best way to fill the hole in to make it water proof with the cable in the hole in mind.

I removed that old transducer the previous owner must of put in (which was in the exact same spot - but on the other side) and he had the hole plugged with a piece of rubber that fit in the hole, but had a small piece removed to fit the cable in and it was under a cable cover both sides (pictured) and just filled in with silicon.

Any ideas on the best way for me to do this is really appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

post-32204-0-68356200-1431939109_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-54629300-1431939118_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-39671400-1431939126_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-11747500-1431939135_thumb.jpg

Guest 4myson

I'd be using SIKAFLEX you can buy it in white also to suit your transom . You can get it at any hardware & you won't need to use any rubber grommets . If your around Western Sydney swing past & I could seal it for you as I always carry some . It will save you from buying a whole tube as you would only require a small amount . Just PM me & I'll be glad to help ....

Geez mate, that's a decent sized hole to be drilling into your boat. I would have recommended you run the wire over the top of the transom.

If that was mine I would still run the cable over the transom and then you can plug up that hole much better than if the wire is going through it.

I'd be using SIKAFLEX you can buy it in white also to suit your transom . You can get it at any hardware & you won't need to use any rubber grommets . If your around Western Sydney swing past & I could seal it for you as I always carry some . It will save you from buying a whole tube as you would only require a small amount . Just PM me & I'll be glad to help ....

That is a very kind offer 4myson, You're a legend to offer that to me and I really appreciate it. I have had all sorts of offers from some great members on here to help out at their place etc this really is a special forum, but I just recently moved north mate, but thank you so much for the offer.

I have just purchased a tube of the SIKAFLEX (white) from Bunnings to squirt in my screw holes for my new transducer, so I have a tube mate, should I put in one of them rubber emergency bungs and give it a good going over with the SIKAFLEX - you have any pictures to follow mate or know of somewhere I can get an idea?

Thanks

Geoff

Gotta love this site!

Cheers

Paikea

Certainly do Paikea - You are one of the kind people also mate.

Geez mate, that's a decent sized hole to be drilling into your boat. I would have recommended you run the wire over the top of the transom.

If that was mine I would still run the cable over the transom and then you can plug up that hole much better than if the wire is going through it.

Didn't have much choice Roylo, I didn't want to either but my transom is weird shaped at the back and didn't have much choice.

Depends on how nice you want it to look.

It might be hard to get a nice looking chunk of sikaflex in the back of the transom as theres no backing.

Another option I just thought of - though the cable might be too small for it to grip properly.

pg_cable_gland_waterproof_nylon_bag_plas

Do you still have the old rubber piece from the previous owner?

I'd drill a hole in that, the same size as the cable - then I'd sikaflex around that to seal it.

Depends on how nice you want it to look.

It might be hard to get a nice looking chunk of sikaflex in the back of the transom as theres no backing.

Another option I just thought of - though the cable might be too small for it to grip properly.

pg_cable_gland_waterproof_nylon_bag_plas

Do you still have the old rubber piece from the previous owner?

I'd drill a hole in that, the same size as the cable - then I'd sikaflex around that to seal it.

Yeah mate, still have the old rubber piece that was in there.

You think that would be good enough?

The only way to seal it 100% is too make the hole oversize, which you have. Then get a bigger drill bit again and slightly counter sink the hole, but run the bit backwards so it doesn't chip the gelcoat then the fill the hole with epoxy resin and re drill with a smaller diameter drill and run the cable though it. Once the cable is all run fill the hole with sikaflex to provide another barrier against water intrusion and prevent the cable chaffing.

The only way to seal it 100% is too make the hole oversize, which you have. Then get a bigger drill bit again and slightly counter sink the hole, but run the bit backwards so it doesn't chip the gelcoat then the fill the hole with epoxy resin and re drill with a smaller diameter drill and run the cable though it. Once the cable is all run fill the hole with sikaflex to provide another barrier against water intrusion and prevent the cable chaffing.

I don't think he can do that as I'm guessing the hole needs to be the size it is for a plug on the end of the cable to fit through. Otherwise why else would you drill the hole so big.

I'm still going with what's done is done. Take the cable out and fill the hole right, with epoxy, body filler or whatever. Then run the cable over the transom. There has to be a way of doing it.

I don't think he can do that as I'm guessing the hole needs to be the size it is for a plug on the end of the cable to fit through. Otherwise why else would you drill the hole so big.

I'm still going with what's done is done. Take the cable out and fill the hole right, with epoxy, body filler or whatever. Then run the cable over the transom. There has to be a way of doing it.

I think running it over the transom is just as messy.

If it was my boat I'd have either

• cut the cable and ran a weatherproof buklhead connector on the transom.
  • de-pinned the connector and ran it through a PG-x cable gland.

But I don't even own a boat so...

As it is, the cable runs through the transom now, I reckon its salvageable. Just have to seal the hole up half decent and you're good to go.

It's not going to look like the mona lisa, but it will work alright.

Edited by amkr

So I've had a think about this.

Basically, I'd remove the cable and then line the hole with a healthy amount of epoxy-resin. This will protect the wood in the transom from any water getting in.

Not sure if this will work, but I'd give this a go.

Nwf57kP.jpg

gg7TKCil.jpg

Basically cut a piece of anything (urethene or something that doesnt hold water might be good?) in a circle slightly smaller than the hole you're trying to fill. Then notch a slot in it for the cable to go through.

Then do what others have suggested and seal it with sikaflex or fiberglass filler or anything you want.

Hi boys,

Thanks for all the help on this, I really appreciate it.

I have taken the lead out and have fed it through the hole above the water line where the outboard cables go through. I ended up by having way enough cable to do this so why I didn't just do this in the first place I'll never know.

I'm going to epoxy the hole I created and hopefully this will be sweet.

Thinking of buying a 7 elite chirp, any feed back would be appreciated, I fish just out Botany Bay and Port Hacking if I don't get sea sick,

otherwise inside. Thanks.

Once I have got it on the water and have had a play with it I'll let you know.... could be a while though as I have no experience with fish finders and will be flat out reading the difference between fish and bottom - just looks like an ultrasound to me. Some people get the picture but I don't know what I'm looking at :-)

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same challenge. I put a cable shield over it and filled it with a standard epoxy filler. no problem. Just make sure the cable is secured to the transom before it enters the hole to prevent any cable movement. All the other solutions seem quite feasible it is just a matter of how much time you want to spend on it.