Port Hacking

Yowie

Enjoyed my holiday towing the caravan through south-west W.A. for 2 and a half months, but happy to be home as well.

Headed out early this morning to the deep water near Lilli Pilli for the tailor on pillies, not big fish, plus the trevally on a fish strip. Once there was about half light in the sky, the tailor stopped biting. Apart from a couple of little reddies, the fishing shut down before sun-up.

Pumped a few nippers just as the wind picked up a bit, not good for drifting, so anchored in a few spots over the sand banks and cast and retrieved the nippers for the 4 flatties, not big fish, and a bit of time between the bites. No little pickers to take the nippers, not even a small whiting.

Enough for a couple of feeds, also a few for family members as well.

The water is fairly clear, not much to be seen swimming about.

post-13153-0-06485100-1432191179_thumb.jpg

Thank you all, nice to be back in familiar waters.

Pulled out a few Tommie ruffs, or herring, about the 25 cm mark (very popular in S.A. and W.A.) filleted and pan fried, they tasted reasonably good. A new species for me.

Also caught 2 silver perch in a fresh water dam, they were less than 30cm, and were catch-and-release from that dam, as the owner was fattening them up for his restaurant. Another new species on the hook.

The salmon were turning up (not that I fished that much) but no bites from them. Some people over there complain about them as not good eating, but jump for joy when they pull out one (70cm or more) then kill it and take it home for dinner !!!

Bought a lobster at Jurien Bay (north of Perth) about a kilo in weight, bloody good eating, ate it myself as the wife gets a bit of indigestion when eating them.

When I asked for snapper in a fish restaurant, the owner told me there are about 40 different fish called snapper in W.A. The ones we catch over here are called Pink Snapper over there.

An enjoyable time, good food and good wine.

Welcome home, Stay with the Port, The Jackets are on the chew again outside.

Are they worth keeping for a feed, or just the little bastards that turn up at this time of year?