Wear Sunnies

Ryder

Hi Ryder,

I'm actually an optometrist. These days pterygium surgery with conjunctival auto graft and other techniques, the recurrence rate is fairly low. You can check out this link.

http://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/content/d/cornea--anterior_segment/i/1209/c/22795/.

cheers

richard

Thanks Richard for that link - advances are being made all the time these days.

Pterygium..?!!!!!

I hadn't heard of it, but turns out I have it.

Also known as Surfer Eye.

Wear your sunglasses.

My mum just had one on each eye removed and apparently they are extremely painful and she was in tears because they were so painful. She said it felt likes needles in the centre of the eye.

I guess it depends on your genes or some thing, but have been fishing, mainly during the day off the rocks at Avoca and then boats ever since, some 40 years ago and have never worn sunglasses, unless in shallow water to see the depth. So I'm not sure, but I may be just lucky? But I think us humans were supposed to be exposed to the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have two. One in each eye, left eye now effects my vision a bit. I can see clearly but if I'm stopped at the traffic lights and I cover my right eye I can sometimes read the number plate in front of me and sometimes I can't. Sometimes it feels like a have a small rock stuck in my eye and cant get it out. I have to get mine surgically removed, not looking forward to the pain which follows the procedure.The right one isn't as bad yet, vision is still good. Had it since mid 2013 and it got bigger slowly. Didn't really think about it cause it didn't effect my vision at all until now. My wife would always tell me to get it looked at and I was nah it'll be right, regret it now because I had eagle eye vision before. Still have good eye sight but not as good as before. And yes I do try and remember to put sunnies on. Before it was on and off.

Know your pain mate I have kerataconus in my right eye that's really starting to play havoc with my shooting and tying fine fishing knots. My wife is also nagging me to get it fixed but I'm putting it off the pain of after surgery sucks haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk