Fishing with yakkas! Port stephens

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I caught up with fellow raider dom today and the plan was to fish the stones around harbour to one mile and see what we can come up with. With no real target in mind we started by throwing unweighted pillies and slugs with not much action. With the rising tide it was getting a bit big for my liking and it was time to move. After a 15min trek in, we were greeted by a nice ledge and we began to burley up. Dom was on first to a nice silver drummer and I was getting hassled by bait theives. So dropped down a hook size and started landing a few yakkas. So with my other set up I sent one out live and 10mins later I was on. After some great acrobatics and tail walking I landed a nice healthy sambo!

post-24974-0-24311200-1433486199_thumb.jpg

So now the plan was set. Catch a yakka and throw him out fresh!

Well we both repeated this process for the rest of the day nailing some cracking salmon, watsons bonito and a nice tailor. Many different species were caught throughout the day and all were released to fight another day.

post-24974-0-47708200-1433486891_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-96231000-1433486977_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-14426700-1433487050_thumb.jpg

All in all great day out on the ledge watching the whales go by, getting buzzed by the jets and landing a few beauties along the way!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice work scratchy ,I haven't fished off the rocks for ages and miss it a bit.

Cheers deano. I'm very lucky to have great access to many nice platforms. Just never know what your gunna get and many different species to target. Great fun!

nice work scratchie and well done on adapting to the conditions and using what is available right where your fishing.....its amazing how that will usually bring results.

pete.

Your right pete! Dom had the quickest conversion from live bait to fish I've ever seen. Within 30 seconds of hitting the water he was on!