Commercial Size Limits

Tulz

The allowance for smaller mulloway is for mesh netters I think you will find. Otherwise the pros have the same legal sizes as recs. Often the undersized fish you see in shops are from aquaculture.

Edited by billfisher

Guest 4myson

My Brother in law used to run a Fish & Chip shop & while buying his supplies from the fish markets in Sydney he would notice quite a few undersized fish all of species & I mean TINY ! He would regularly send me photos . When he questioned the auctioneers about the size limits regarding trawlers , Apparently there allowed to sell onto the fish markets a small percentage of undersized fish known as Bycacth ... There were commercial fisherman who would disregard the small percentage rule & every now & then Fisheries would hand out Fines & remove the undersized fish from sale , But the Fisheries would only inspect the markets every so often ... Which according to my Brother In Law wasn't done regularly enough !!

Hi Tulz,

Yes the replies are pretty spot on. A few different rules, some farm fish. What I find most interesting is the quality of the fish in your typical fish shop. I sus out the local fish shop most days and I see the same fish for most of the week still on ice for sale. Un-gutted fish clearly bruised from poor handling at least 3 or 4 days old is clearly not going to be any good on the table at least to the taste of a fisherman.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just checked with a fisheries officer and they are allowed to sell a certain quota of there bycatch being undersized fish. It will equate to a portion of there catch. Most are returned to the water, however their mortality rate is high so they are allowed to sell them!

Cheers scratchie!!!