By Gum. What a cold tiring night. 7-6-15

NaClH2OK9

With the snapper evading me on my last outing and palagics not playing I needed a different tactic to bag a big eating fish. It then occurred to me perhaps this was the time to target gummy sharks.

I've caught one as by catch but never eaten them. So yet again with fishing a slightly new approach was required if I was going to be successful. I guessed night fishing would be the go and long weekend and good weather window saw Sunday night locked in.

Sunday lunch saw the boat prepped and the esky crammed with bait and burley when Katoe messaged to see what might be happening. By 5 pm we were on the water with just enough light to get to open water.

We noticed this but didn't take it as a bad omen as we lift the ramp.

9440b08ee790f891930f959d157a6df3.jpg

I had a spot in mind to try but 6 or 7 boats on pizza and rooster reef made us divert for a try. Catfish and small Rock cod to Katoe and nothing for me saw 1.5 hours go by so it was back to plan A

By 7:30 pm we were anchored and starting to burley. It didn't take long for the expected to happen! In comes banjo number 1, then 2, 3, 4, 5 (getting boring now)... But on it went. Katoe was out fishing me 4 fish to 1 with The odd undersized flathead added to the mix. But we knew this was going to be a stamina game and a long night.

Some where around 9:30 I hoocked into something new. It didn't have the head shakes if a jew but was dancing left and right and round in circles. Tbh it was almost a surprise when we realised we had hit a 94cm target fish.

With some effort it was netted and on board. Quickly dispatched and bled . ( a more strenuous job than you'd think. These guys are all muscle)

a8391ae2594c5a5cbe3faf343fa135f1.jpg

We had 30 mins of quiet and banjos before my rod loaded up again and the fish stripped line and headed east. Then south then north. It had wrapped around to of the other lines and was trying hard to circle the engine. It wasn't so much the fish was strong just bloody stubborn. When we got it up the next problem was how to get it in the net. At 127cm it was twice the weight of the first fish. Great netting skills by Katoe saw the fish very unhappy in the boat. And holding it was like wrestling a gorilla.

f49bd273003046012a73024b9ae9ac41.jpg

Another 40 mins saw a slightly bigger model at 130 cm. But when Katoe tried to net and tail grab it went absolutely nuts! And took off again. We were genuinely spent by the time it was in the boat. Another hour saw the tide change and the fishing really slow Down and the temperature drop. By 2am with only a few more banjo an a solitary port Jackson for Katoe. It was feeling very late and very cold. And grabbing a blanket and taking a nap was just too tempting.

4am to 6 saw just a couple more fiddlers and the wind had picked up seriously and was cutting. We tidied our gear and at sunrise Katoe pulled the anchor and we headed back. It was at the ramp that I dug deep in the anchor well for the winch handle and spotted what looked like a 2cm blue ring octopus. It was swiftly squished with pliers and we headed home.

Thanks for reading

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Great report Steve! Even better that a plan come together and sharing it with another raider. Your recent post in the chat section wanting to chase gummys and you went out and were successful. That's pretty impressive!

Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sorry guys. Should have added. Winning rig was an 8/0 circle on 2m flowing trace with big salted mack tuna fillets or big squid baits. 4oz lead held bottom. But kept lead about 50cm above bottom.

Bleed Imedietly. I researched and found a 2 inch cut at the throat cuts the main line. I then Imedietly spiked the brain too. 5 mins inverted in the sea to let the blood run out. Then gut and straight onto ice. ( was a struggle with a 1m esky)

YouTube will give vids on filleting.

Yes many shark are sold as flake. Gummy is classed as on of the best and importantly supposed to freeze well. Haven't eaten yet. Filleted but too wiped out to do fish and chips tonight.

Glad to see you found a couple. Certainly a much milder night tonight. The reason I have no handles on my boat esky is those things. Balls of muscle and tail slaps shattered the handles.They are great eating and perfect in a beer batter with chips or wedges.

Thanks for your previous advice Mark. I was already planning a spot ( felt sheltered for the night) and your recommendation was pretty close which gave me confidence.

Your not wrong about the strength. Absolute mayhem in the boat with the bigger 2. :) just the sort of adrenalin you need to wake you up and forget the cold.

You forgot the mushy peas from your recipie mate!

Wow when I first read you were targeting Gummies in Sydney I thought it was hugely optomistic. I had seen the odd report but generally by catch. Well that's what I thought but you guys came up trumps. Well done.

What a great result getting them the first time targeting them. Sounds like you need a bigger esky.

Awesome job mate! It's defiantly lit a flame to get out there and chase them like you have

I've been thinking about it ever since I caught a few in bate bay 12 months ago. Great fighting fish in light gear !!

Congrats on a great trip!!