Port Hacking = a feed or 2

Yowie

Headed up past Lilli Pilli to fish the deep early this morning. Caught the 2 tailor early, then not another bite from them. The bigger one on a pillie, the smaller one on the yellowtail handline. Then the little reddies turned up in their dozens, none bigger than 20cm, and chewed off all baits.

In amongst that, a 61cm salmon grabbed a fish strip on handline, put up a good fight and was released. Felt like some jackets were attacking the yellowtail line, so I used some little pieces of squid to land some. They stopped biting at the bottom of the tide, so I packed up and moved to the sandbank to pump some nippers.

There were a few schools of mullet swimming over the banks. so I tried for them but they kept their distance from the boat. The one I landed is a sand mullet, usually they leave the Port by mid to late autumn, this lot must be running late.

I drifted the sand banks with the nippers for the flattie, and released one just under size.

Plenty of blackfish swimming in the main channel, with a few old timers pulling in a couple.

post-13153-0-49013800-1433820901_thumb.jpg

Top effort Yowie you did better than us.

I had a RDO and fished the rising tide in the port with the mrs and boy for a few hours this morning in several places with pillys,squid and prawns for nothing but some good size Trevally to 43cm that fell to pillys drifted down in the berley trail,1 good leather jacket and dozens of undersized snapper.

All my fish came from the SWA.

I released all fish to fight another day.

Once again well done!!

Top effort Yowie you did better than us.

I had a RDO and fished the rising tide in the port with the mrs and boy for a few hours this morning in several places with pillys,squid and prawns for nothing but some good size Trevally to 43cm that fell to pillys drifted down in the berley trail,1 good leather jacket and dozens of undersized snapper.

All my fish came from the SWA.

I released all fish to fight another day.

Once again well done!!

Thank you.

Some nice sized trevally there. Plenty of small reddies throughout the Port.

The jackets were kept for mum, her favourite fish. Baked tailor for my house tonight, then flattie in a couple of nights.

Good stuff as always yowie! I'm sure the fish down that way will be wondering when your next holiday is? I love the fact you still use a handline too. No many people do these days!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well, on Thursday I'm packing the van and heading to the Gold Coast with some other people from the caravan club. Gone for a couple of weeks.

The forecast at this stage is for showers and southerlies until next Tuesday. :mad3:

Handlines make for a bit of excitement, especially with something like a salmon or a kingie or a jewie.

Snuck this arvo on the kayak using sift plastics at mainbar on the rising tide. Landed a nice flatly at 35cms, my first on the yak, yay. The bigger talking point was a huge flatly (looked 4ft plus) meandering over the flats in about 1 foot of water. It was a great sight and she had no fear of me. Finished the day off by having a moray swimming between my legs while lifting the yak out of the water. Made me jump about 3 ft in the air. Nice few hours on the water

Snuck this arvo on the kayak using sift plastics at mainbar on the rising tide. Landed a nice flatly at 35cms, my first on the yak, yay. The bigger talking point was a huge flatly (looked 4ft plus) meandering over the flats in about 1 foot of water. It was a great sight and she had no fear of me. Finished the day off by having a moray swimming between my legs while lifting the yak out of the water. Made me jump about 3 ft in the air. Nice few hours on the water

There are some big flatties in the Port at times, and, they have no real fear of anything. The only thing with fear are the smaller fish that see that big mouth opening , then sudden darkness !!