Dangar crabbing

saltrix

Went out with my wife today to try for a few blue swimmers and maybe a flathead.

Set our 4 hats each at south of Dangar on the edge of the channel, and a bit south of the boats at Brooklyn ramp using flathead frames for bait.

Checked the hats between drifts and managed 8 nice males and returned a couple of large females.

It was a lovely day on the water with no breeze and occasional sunshine.

post-3961-0-46281700-1434102054_thumb.jpg

The flathead were not on the job for me, and I only managed a couple of just legals which were returned.

post-3961-0-19596500-1434102178_thumb.jpg

Back home for a late lunch and have just finished a nice meal of crabs.

Well done! I recently went on a weekend away in Little Wobby where we caught a fair few crabs as by-catch just on a line.

I had never tried them before this time however by the end of the weekend we would put the water on the boil the second a legal male was landed - that's how tasty they were!

Cheers, James

Great job. I got a nice feed around there last weekend and will try my luck again tomorrow. There definately seems to still be plenty around at the moment. What time of the tide did you get them? I got a good catch last week either side of the high tide, but will be trying either side of low tomorrow.

Well, had the traps out yesterday either side of low tide in the mouth off Parsley Bay. 4 traps set for a good few hours. Retrieved a crab in every trap, but 3 of the 4 were females so I threw them back in (one was quite large!). So only ended up with the one small male to bring home. Been trapping around Brooklyn for the last 12 months with great success, but only ever caught the 1 female, so was a bit surprised and bummed to get so many females in the one go yesterday.

I have also got a few females at this time of the year, but was surprised that I only got the one last week. I also return them.

Try setting a couple of the hats across the bay in front of the southern side of Dangar at the edge of the main channel as I found that to be a good spot sometimes.