Weipa 2015

LuckyFil

Just back from another year in Weipa on the houseboat + 3 tenders. Every year is different depending on what's biting and the wind - it can be bad at times although it wasn't too strong for our week - the crew before us couldn't leave the harbour for 2 days due to howling winds and choppy seas at the entrance.

The long tail tuna were about this year and it was great to hear the drag screaming on your 30lb spin outfit when they hit top gear - you can't believe until you experience it - you think you've forgotten to tighten up your drag before going out but its tight all right! As usual the sharks were bad with plenty of fish and lures lost to sharks some a bit too large for comfort (8 foot plus).

We also found a good school of spanish mackerel one day with one of our boats scoring 10 spanish and few long tails before coming in. We kept a couple of spanish for the table and the rest were released.

Also got into the Norman Creek for some fun on the jacks, fingermark, cod, trevally (various) and smallish barra. On light gear this is fun fishing.

For a change we tried bait fishing for the tusk fish one day in 3 meters of water. You have to fish heavy and with locked drags to have any chance. Its lots of laughs as you watch your mate battle it out for 20 seconds - they either get the tusky clear of the bottom or get dusted. These fish are like drummer or groper on steroids . These fish were 2- 4 kg but I gather they grow up to 14kg I hate to think what one of those would do to you.

Picked up a couple of decent coral trout and my first blue bastard (yes that's what they are called) a bit like a blue mowong and they also pull like trains in the shallow water.

Every fisherman has to get to Weipa at least once in his life .

I've hopefully attached a small selection of pics.

Cheers

LuckFil

Weipa is on the western side of Cape York in far north QLD. You get there by flying to Cairns then a second flight into Weipa. Its a mining town (bauxite) with a harbour set up to load the bauxite onto ships . You can drive there from Cairns but its I think about a 12 hour drive on fairly rough roads, although you see a lot more vans and campers up there since I first started going 7 years ago.

There are a few guides that operate from Weipa that do fly and sport fishing as well as bait if you want to, but that gets pretty expensive using a guide so we hire the houseboat, drive and cook for ourselves and fish out of the 4.8meter tenders (2 per boat). With a crew of 6 it works out well. As you can see from the report the fishing can be hot with plenty of variety but you have to do your homework and be flexible sometimes if the usual things aren't working, but finding and catching the fish yourself is all the more rewarding.

Just booked my flights for May next year couldn't get there this year ( Driving up to Qld with the caravan. then overseas) so going for two weeks next year. 14th trip in 14 years.

I like to spend a few hours bait fishing over the shallow reefs and they sure take some stopping.

bruce

Just booked my flights for May next year couldn't get there this year ( Driving up to Qld with the caravan. then overseas) so going for two weeks next year. 14th trip in 14 years.

I like to spend a few hours bait fishing over the shallow reefs and they sure take some stopping.

bruce

G'day Bruce, we met a couple of years ago up there, you were finishing your trip as we at started ours that time. Yeah make sure you keep going while you can as they are slowly making moves towards the new loader at Boyd Bay. You can see a small settlement behind the tree taking shape and once Rio starts full construction that section of the coast (the best in my opinion) will be buggered. Plenty more to be explored either side of Boyd but still it will be sad when it happens. The entrance to the Norman was totally different this year and may be again when you go in May. It was more like 3 separate channels - you could still get in but had to be in the top half of the tide.

Enjoy yourself next year, we'll be there in June again as someone had already booked the week we wanted in May!!

Will definitely be doing more bait fishing in the shallows for the tuskies and hopefully some of those bigger fingermark.

Tight lines.

Phil

Great report phil. Some cracking fish and photos to match. There's really no words to discribe a trip like that, but it's unreal living in that moment.

Weipa, is a must do for me sometime. Have seen many reports from there and it always reminds me of my trip to Darwin. Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great report phil. Some cracking fish and photos to match. There's really no words to discribe a trip like that, but it's unreal living in that moment.

Weipa, is a must do for me sometime. Have seen many reports from there and it always reminds me of my trip to Darwin. Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

If you are ever planning a trip to Weipa get in touch and I'll give you any info I can on preparation, costs, what to take etc

I started going there after reading reports on Fishraider from guys who had used the houseboat option as well!

Cheers

LuckFil