Tips On Trimming Motor

The Rabbit

Took the boat out for the first time on Saturday. I was suprised how easy it was to get it in and out of the water, cause it feels very weighty on the trailer when pushing her around the drive way at home.

The Merc 115 runs on 2 cyl under about 1800rpm and when you push the stick forward and all 4 cyl cut in she gets a real kick out of the water and goes a bit bow high.

What do you guys find the best way to trim the motor when you put the power on?

:1prop:

Took the boat out for the first time on Saturday. I was suprised how easy it was to get it in and out of the water, cause it feels very weighty on the trailer when pushing her around the drive way at home.

The Merc 115 runs on 2 cyl under about 1800rpm and when you push the stick forward and all 4 cyl cut in she gets a real kick out of the water and goes a bit bow high. 

What do you guys find the best way to trim the motor when you put the power on?

:1prop:

68917[/snapback]

Hi Rabbit. I just set the throttle at a speed that keeps the boay on the plane, and then move the power trim up or down to get the highest engine rev,s without touching the throttle. Try it and see how you go.i think it is the most economical too. Ben (basic fisho).

Adjusting the trim is about having a 'feel' for your boat and adjusting the ride of your boat to best suit the conditions. It only comes with experience and no two boats are the same.

I wouldn't be too worried about it while you are gunning the power. Once you've accelerated and travelling at a constant speed you then should make adjustments to your trim.

In my boat I use the deep 'v' to cut through chop or an oncoming swell. Keeping the nose down in a swell also means there's not as far to plummet if you come off the back of a steep wave. In a following swell I keep the nose up so I don't nosedive.

On still water I make subtle adjustments and you can feel when the boat is running at it's most efficient. You can look at your wake, check out your speed on the GPS and like Ben says, listen to the revs too.

as all the other posts have said its feeling you will get used to you will know your limits believe me with my boat trimmed in it screams along bow just out of the water prop just in but becareful trimming up to much under heavy revs as you have not much play and will tip boat its a balancing act give it a go and enjoy ur boat ..........

Basic Fisho, Iain and Moonlitecreeper, have it by the shorts. In my boat its a feel thing on smooth water - Once on the plane and moving along at a comfortable speed, I'll trim it out so it doesn't porpoise but rather glides on the flatter part of the hull towards the stern.

A comfortable speed in summer could be as high as 5,000 rpm and 60 kliks whilst in winter that comfortable speed may be only 3,000 rpm and 20 kliks - geez a centre console can be cold work :frozen:

On choppier water I may not trim out much at all, letting the V at the nose cut through as much as it can and not pound the breakfast out of me.