Was there anything I could have done

nutsaboutfishing

Sometimes the fish will be hooked on the outside of the head and the hook pulls easily, not a lot you can do, another thing is big flathead will sometimes not be hooked but simply biting down hard on the lure, they swim a bit then open up their mouth and be gone.

It's also important to set the hook. If the fish swims away with the lure then it's in it's mouth. Strike and keep pressure. We are not always successful so when this happens I usually revert to what macman said! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Was just down at Tarban creek fishing an 1/8 oz jighead and SP. Just as the plastic was at my feet something huge took it and started peeling off line at a rate of knots, then it just dropped off.

Is there anything I can do in this situation?

cheers

Richard

Make a habit of always watching your lure all the way to the boat if it's possible to see it. You may have seen what took your lure then acted on it. You could have hit it the moment it gulped it. Things may have turned out better, maybe not.

What could have happened:

1 The fish has hold of the lure, swims away and opens it's mouth to swallow the "food" (lure) but misses the hook and the lure pops out of it's mouth

2. The fish is hooked, but the hook falls out during the big run

3. The fish is hooked, but the hook bends and pops out (some of the hooks on soft plastics are very fine steel and prone to bending and pulling out with no obvious damage to the hook)

4. The fish is hooked on the outside of the mouth, and the hook falls out

5. The fish is hooked on the body with the hook point penetrating a scale and pulling out the scale

6. The fish is just hooked in the lip, the lip splits and the hook falls out

What could have happened:

1 The fish has hold of the lure, swims away and opens it's mouth to swallow the "food" (lure) but misses the hook and the lure pops out of it's mouth

2. The fish is hooked, but the hook falls out during the big run

3. The fish is hooked, but the hook bends and pops out (some of the hooks on soft plastics are very fine steel and prone to bending and pulling out with no obvious damage to the hook)

4. The fish is hooked on the outside of the mouth, and the hook falls out

5. The fish is hooked on the body with the hook point penetrating a scale and pulling out the scale

6. The fish is just hooked in the lip, the lip splits and the hook falls out

Thanks Yowie,

i feel a lot less suicidal now

cheers

richard