No more Dull knives/tools.

Fab1

Hi guys I thought I'd share a simple little project that I made to sharpen my knives/tools quickly and accurately that mounts to my vice.It's based on designs that have been around for eons but I will make it multi purpose later when I build some adapters for sharpening my other tools like axes,chainsaw chains etc.

Here I have made up and welded the L frame together having drilled the 5 holes ranging from 10deg to 30deg in 5deg increments sanded and ready for primer/paint.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

After primer/paint.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here I have some 3/8 threaded rod,flatbar,washes/nuts and a norton combination stone.attachicon.gifimage.jpgAll materials have been cut down,drilled and assembled.attachicon.gifimage.jpgNow I need a handle,what am I going to use?Thats right last week I got an Eagle on a par five and I can think about that shot while I'm sharpening.Anyone of you that play golf will no full well how hard it is to achieve an eagle.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgOk she's all ready,lets sharpen some knives.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpghttp://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpghttp://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpgNow I need a strop.I used some 10mm ply that I cut out with the jigsaw,chopped up an old apron and attached the leather with thumb tacks as I ran out of staples on my staple gun then loaded the strop with cutting compound.http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpghttp://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpghttp://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpgPrimary grind on knife after grinding/stropping.http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpghttp://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpgAre the knives sharp now?

Hairy bastard before sharpening.http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpgAfter sharpening.http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifimage.jpg.Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers.

Hi guys I thought I'd share a simple little project that I made to sharpen my knives/tools quickly and accurately that mounts to my vice.It's based on designs that have been around for eons but I will make it multi purpose later when I build some adapters for sharpening my other tools like axes,chainsaw chains etc.

Here I have made up and welded the L frame together having drilled the 5 holes ranging from 10deg to 30deg in 5deg increments sanded and ready for primer/paint.

After primer/paint.

Here I have some 3/8 threaded rod,flatbar,washes/nuts and a norton combination stone.All materials have been cut down,drilled and assembled.Now I need a handle,what am I going to use?Thats right last week I got an Eagle on a par five and I can think about that shot while I'm sharpening.Anyone of you that play golf will no full well how hard it is to achieve an eagle.Ok she's all ready,lets sharpen some knives.Now I need a strop.I used some 10mm ply that I cut out with the jigsaw,chopped up an old apron and attached the leather with thumb tacks as I ran out of staples on my staple gun then loaded the strop with cutting compound.Primary grind on knife after grinding/stropping.post-20199-0-35994300-1435378123_thumb.jpgAre the knives sharp now?

Hairy bastard before sharpening.post-20199-0-73430400-1435378244_thumb.jpgAfter sharpening.post-20199-0-96532000-1435378310_thumb.jpg.Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers.post-20199-0-84673200-1435379448_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-97147200-1435379382_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-88571100-1435379257_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-49826400-1435379412_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-37625700-1435379209_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-74243700-1435379296_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-29200600-1435379325_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-35994300-1435378123_thumb.jpg

post-20199-0-16371800-1435378981_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fab1

Cheers mate,yeah I wanted something capable of doing larger blades and a little sturdier than the lansky.

Besides I had all the materials and tools on hand to make my own.I will add some add ons to do other garden tools in the future and a filing jig.

Could you imagine finishing the blade off with a 3000 or a 8000 grit stone. IIIEEEE. You could do a Crocodile Dundee and shave with your knife.

In the past Ive used a Lansky and know how good they work if your not confident on a stone, yours takes it to the next level.

Could you imagine finishing the blade off with a 3000 or a 8000 grit stone. IIIEEEE. You could do a Crocodile Dundee and shave with your knife.

In the past Ive used a Lansky and know how good they work if your not confident on a stone, yours takes it to the next level.

You could go as fine as you like if you wanted.I've sharpened freehand now for 35years using various sharpening mediums and the people I've seen struggling to maintain a consistent angle throughout the sharpening stroke fail to keep their wrists locked whilst sharpening only from the shoulders and arms.Those knives I put on the pics will shave your face no problem using only the double sided Norton combination stone and my strop.You can't see the primary edge to well unfortunately but it's a mirror shine just using the strop loaded with compound.

so do you sharpen a bit then move the knife along

or do you sharpen lengthwise? I hope that makes sense

looks like a bit of fun to have a go at

I clamp the blade centred in the jaws then push and pull as I sweep along the blade grinding until I've created a burr on the underside of the blade.

Some of the better Japanese water stones go up to grits as high as 12 000. Like polishing your knife on glass!

In the kitchen I never use a steel,I use the edge of a ground sheet of glass to realign the edge on my knives before and after use.

I also wash/dry my knives immediately after use keeping them stored separately from other utensils.

A little tip for those of you with knife blocks is slide your knives in upside down to prevent the blades from becoming dull as the rub on the timber slot each time you put your knives in/out or use a magnetic rack or other means like this.post-20199-0-50220000-1435452372_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-94361100-1435452411_thumb.jpgI've yet to know anyone other than myself that does this with a knife block.

I also put mine in upside down too

for the same reason you mentioned

any chance of a youtube on you sharpening a knife?

Knife sharpening has been done a gazillion times on the tube,we don't need any more.

My advice is get yourself a stone,do your research,and practice,practice,practice on the cheapest knives you can until you get the hang of it.

The main points I can give you is:

-Have the image of slicing a thin slice of cheese from the stone as if it is a block of cheese etched in your mind throughout your sharpening.

-Lock your wrists,do not let them buckle/roll.

-Stroke the blade of the knife along the stone using only your shoulders/arms.

-use as much stone as possible with every stroke of the blade.

-You MUST raise a burr on the opposing side you have sharpened which will indicate you've reached the apex of the blade BEFORE continuing to sharpen the other side of the blade.

-Use a permanent marker as a guide when first learning to sharpen by colouring the bevel to indicate where your grinding as you sharpen.If your removing the ink from the edge of the blade your angle is to steep.If from the shoulder of the primary bevel your using to shallow an angle,raise the spine of the knife just a hair.

-when you sharpen knives with rounded tips as you approach the tip you want to lift the handle very slightly and twist the knife back towards the spine a degree or 2 otherwise you won't sharpen the tip correctly.

-after the knife has been sharpened you will still have a small burr to contend with.

This is what I do:

-ill cut into the edge of a piece of plywood,cutting board,cork,sponge anything will work to break the burr off followed by a good strop loaded with cutting compound or burnishing cream.

There's heaps of ways to sharpen that all work but I prefer the cheapest simplest way I:e the combination stone with light machine oil and strop or sandpaper on glass with water and a stropping.

You can use the best Japanese stones that you pay a fortune for down to the basic sandpaper,the choice is yours.

If you get good at doing what I described above you'll be able to sharpen anything.

I use this method to sharpen knives,axes,chisels,drill bits,Scissors,saws etc,etc.

If it is supposed to have an edge I sharpen it.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers.

Thanks Fab1, excellent tips.

No problems,sadly I think being able to sharpen by hand is another skill that eventually will be lost to modern society like many that have gone before.

Great write up Fab1

I'm really interested in seeing if I can build something like you did, and the

sharpening tips are great too.

Thanks!

Give it a go,it's a fun little project.I've got this bayonet to restore in the mean time.post-20199-0-71592700-1435618851_thumb.jpg

Cheers.