Another jewwie attempt

thefisherman6784

G'day raiders

On Saturday, I decided to spend the day fishing for Jews with set out baits and plastics

So got some mullet and squid from the local store and off I went

Got to my spot, set up the rods and start throwing my plastic. Hooked up twice, one felt small like a little flattie, other had a bit more weight but lost both.

Then get a message from my mate telling me the Kings are around in numbers smashing bait near by so I continue chucking my plastic to get a really solid hit near the surface to see a rat come out and hit it again but no secure hook up so he swam off. That was it for the next 4 hours so moved down a bit to a spot that might have held other big fish mainly Jews in mind tho.

Set out the baits again and see a big boof next to me from a king so grab my little rod with a 3" plastic and cast around the area but nothing

Let the plastic sink and pulled up a nice flattie around 50cm and really fat

post-33634-14367057383122_thumb.jpg

I then go back to sit next to the bait rod which had half a mullet fillet on it and it screamed of them stopped then started again

The fish then dropped it for a minute and knowing it was a big tough bait it was probably still there so left it and it comes back with a really solid run so tighten the drag and hook up to a really solid fish

It's takes line and has some really serious head shakes. I was getting exited thinking it may have been a Jew but have never caught one so couldn't be 100%

Bought him closer, it was big, it was silver, it was... A bream!! And a bloody big one too!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes!!

Got him in the net and wow he looked at least 45cm+ but only went 41cm! But not complaining

It was probably the fattest bream I will ever see!! Easily around 1.2kg or bigger!

This bream looked different tho, I've caught many bream in my life but this one had a nose like a Jewwy, is starting to grow a bump on its head like a snapper and, if painted black would look like a sooty grunter?!?!

post-33634-14367061855811_thumb.jpg

post-33634-14367062009875_thumb.jpg

This bream had a bit of trouble going back but with a lot of help he went back! It was great seeing him go back that's for sure

Anyway 2 more takes for the night but no hook up and that was it

Cheers Gianni

Edited by thefisherman6784

That is a monster bream! Good job mate. It is probably around 15years old or more! Badluck on the mulloway, I'm sure with your fishing prowess it is soon coming.

Cheers,

Joe

Well done on a cracker yellowfin bream, Gianni,

It beats my PB by 1cm. I love the way the older fish have that change in head shape. I think it looks spectacular. Your knowledge of the species is very good,as well. Her's a bit more.

They are reported to grow 1cm per year, but that may be after they reach maturity, which takes about 5 years to reach a fork length of 23cm. Hence the legal minimum of 25cm. Like flathead, bream start their breeding cycle as males but change sex to female as they get older, if the gender spread require it. However, some bream remain males all their lives, It's thought bream grow to a maximum length of 55cm, but these specimens would be few and far between nowadays.

Still, it's nice to let the old ones return to the water, if for no other reason than to keep practicing catch and release techniques. If more people treat fish the way you do, then our fisheries will regain their previous good health in no time.and we might just be seeing reports of over 50cm yellowfin bream in the not so distant future.

Edited by GreyNurse

Thanks mate

And that bream is probably around 35-40 years old! They grow around 1cm a year or maybe a bit more but I believe they grow slower as they get bigger so I love seeing these big old fish swim back

Hey mate you're right in saying it could well be 35-40years old. As you and Greynurse have pointed out they go through a growth spurt and then their growth rate tapers off as they get older. Environment plays a huge role though, access to food etc. So some bream can reach longer lengths more quickly then others. It's pretty interesting how they age fish using their otolith bones like rings of a tree. Some links below if you want to have a read.

Cheers JOe

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/76181/yfb-factsheet.pdf

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/375967/Yellowfin-Bream.pdf

Hey mate,

Stonker bream! Which river system are you fishing? I've been fishing the hawkesbury and no matter what i fish for all i get is small jews.... Try fresh squid strips 1-4 hours after sunset, so many soapies around, a lot of fun. Hopefully they make way for the big ones soon!

Good luck,

Tag

Hey mate,

Stonker bream! Which river system are you fishing? I've been fishing the hawkesbury and no matter what i fish for all i get is small jews.... Try fresh squid strips 1-4 hours after sunset, so many soapies around, a lot of fun. Hopefully they make way for the big ones soon!

Good luck,

Tag

Thanks for the tip mate! Fishing the parra

Great bream - in relation to "bump on the head" I know some Snapper don't have the head bump and some do, after a bit of research, it appears the NSW Snapper mostly have the bump in older fish and those in other states mostly do not have the bump - even if the same species of snapper, so it is thought that it may be caused by a parasite as many females have the bump also, so maybe the parasite (if this is the cause) may affect bream also?

Pickles