Etec or Not?

fama44os

Guys any real advice on outboards. I'm deciding on either Etec or Suzuki 4 stroke in 80 hp range for quintrex 510 spirit. i would prefer suzuki but the etec is much cheaper. Heard a few negatives on the Etec's?

I have a 90 hp Etec on a 5.6m tinnie 2 yrs old 250 hrs and hasn't even looked like missing a beat.

I use less than half the fuel I used with my 2 stroke mercury and a lot more reliable in the first 2 yrs than the merc was in its first 2 yrs.

bruce

I have heard of problems with Suzuki's as well. Particularly worrying are cases of terminal corrosion on motors that aren't that old. If you are considering four stroke I'd have a look at the new mercury four strokes. They have a lot of innovations which overcome the typical drawbacks of four strokes, ie lighter in weight , good performance, easy maintenance.

I got a second hand ETEC and I love it.

About 600 hours on it. Very quiet and not smoky. They go faster and use less fuel.

You can clean the engine with out running it if you want to, and you only have to go

see your dealer for a service every three years. Petrol in the tank and check under the hood

to top up the oil.

I did lots of reading up about all the engines and in the end, decided to go with one

because the ETEC dealer lives not too far away and to date, he hasn't given me any rubbish advice.

I got good with computers so that I didn't have to be good with outboards!

Those new G2's look really nice but are too big for my boat.

If you have a preferred dealer and you like/trust them, then go with them, and I'm sure you'll like

what ever you get.

(This is a bit of a Ford v Holden question btw, you'll get people on both sides of the fence. I'm a holden fan but like the look of the fords but bought a toyota!)

Edited by antonywardle

Honda 60hp 4stroke on 4.5 ally stacer and really pleased with the performance and fuel economy. Dealer admitted to pushing yammie as that is prime motor but then fitted same Honda to his uncles boat after test running it on my boat. Initial outlay is one thing but sus out out service costs also. 4 stroke way better than any 2 stroke I've ever used/owned. Ric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had both motors on previous boats. I think it also depends on what type of fishing you'll be doing as well. I used to have a 175 etec on my 6m evolution and the only drawback i would say is it use to go through a bit of the not so cheap xd100 two stroke oil but apart from that can't fault it. Ive also had the suzuki df140 on the back of a barcrusher and that was an awesome motor too so the only real advice i can give you is if you intend on selling your boat in the near future you'll be better off getting the suzuki as a lot of buyers don't particular like two strokes anymore even though the etecs are great motors.

First thing, 80HP on a 510 Spirit? I personally would go a bit higher.

80HP Zuk won't be pushing the 510 as good as a 90 Etec.

If you wan't 4 stroke I would be aiming for 115HP if the weight suits. The 4stroke will hold a better resale value. That is true.

I recently had to replace my Yamaha 60 HP 2-stroke on my Quintrex 5m Coastrunner 470. I went with the E-Tec 60 after considering the 4 stroke Yamaha and Suzuki options. I was comfortable with Evinrude and Yamaha, less so with Suzuki from a brand perspective. For me the simplicity of the 2 stroke won out and the E-Tec gave me the fuel economy as well. So far very happy, and fuel consumption is certainly 1/2 or less than the Yammy. I also love the smooth uptake of power compared to the Yammy 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive had both motors on previous boats. I think it also depends on what type of fishing you'll be doing as well. I used to have a 175 etec on my 6m evolution and the only drawback i would say is it use to go through a bit of the not so cheap xd100 two stroke oil but apart from that can't fault it. Ive also had the suzuki df140 on the back of a barcrusher and that was an awesome motor too so the only real advice i can give you is if you intend on selling your boat in the near future you'll be better off getting the suzuki as a lot of buyers don't particular like two strokes anymore even though the etecs are great motors.

Probably the best reply to this kind of question Ive seen so far!

Myself - I have the Honda 150 yes I wanted 4 stroke and was lucky enough to get what I believe to be the best of them all (in my opinion), My second choice was Suzuki. Im pretty sure its the variable valves on the Honda make it take off like a 2 stroke the other brands should have similar. when I purchased my boat new the dealer was trying to get me on to other motors (obviously more $ in it for him) I could have saved $8000 by having an e-teck I am so glad I turned it down. Just the smell of the 2 strokes at the boat ramp is enough for me let alone wondering where all that oil ends up, most likely in our waterways!

Still its only your choice be it your decision or budget.

I'm a ford man that has a 68 ford, Daihatsu, Holden/ Isuzu and Toyota!

I don't think you can go too far wrong either way unless you get unlucky with a lemon. We have a 150 HO etec on a 5.7 stacer and its great. Our old yammie 2 stroke Saltwater was good no problems at all in 11 years. In comparison the etec just blows it away, on fumes, fuel consumption, noise, ease of first start.

I agree 80 seems underpowered I think most boats "need" near the max HP recommended for the hull. That way you have good power and they aren't working as hard. Especially with a four stroke a relative really struggled with the length of time to get on the plane and I have read other reports here with people playing with find and trim tabs to help.

If I was doing any watersports I'd definitely lean towards the two stroke. If I wasn't but doing heaps of trolling probably the 4 stroke. Other than that I'd look at transom weight, number of cylinders capacity etc, cost.