Forster

jtp

Hi all,

Went camping up at forster the past couple nights.

Day 1 plan was to have a beach session catching tailor and salmon for jewie bait. Was planning on getting to the beach at sunrise but I hit a ditch in the dark and had to take my car to the mechanic. Some panels underneath had come loose. 3 hours later I'm off to the beach. Missed sunrise but still had 2 hours before high at around 12pm. I spot a very nice close gutter running off to the side of the rocks. Using ganged pilchard I start trying to catch bait. It took 1 hour before anything took the bait. Nice tailor at 39cm. Dispatched and kept for bait. I filleted the tailor for 2 strip baits and cast out straight away on 2 snelled 8/0 hooks. 10mins later the rod buckles over in the holder and i'm thinking this is it, this is the long awaited 1m jewie. I pick up the rod and although it has good fight not typical of a jewie. It is pulling a little bit of drag but not much. It gets out of the shore dump and ends up being a nice 65cm sambo. A pb for me. Runout tide was about to start and I thought it would be wasteful to use the sambo for bait so it was released. Cast out the remaining tailor bait but it was taken by pickers. I did practice a little with a big paddle tail sp but the action didn't feel right in the surf. Anyone here use sps off the beach?

Day 2 was out in the hobie at wallis lake targetting some flatties and bream on soft plastics. Managed a few faltties between 39 - 42cm. Only managed 2 small bream. All released. Using the trustworthy zman grub and squidgy prawn. A few hours before sunset I wade ankle-deep into the flats hoping for a whiting. Managed 2 but both were small. Both caught on a spinner i think?

Will be fishing the hawkesbury and georges sometime next week, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Joe

post-11038-0-24810300-1437720597_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-70444100-1437720663_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-20479200-1437720709_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-49256200-1437720770_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-21520800-1437721214_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-20164900-1437721425_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-55359400-1437721565_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-19856200-1437721681_thumb.jpg

Nice catch and you sure did pick a good break in the weather!

Thanks dude. Yeah started raining on the drive back to Sydney! Lucky the weather held out.

Sounds like a great trip! Great work mate!

Cheers scratchie_jnr

Thanks buddy!

Forster sure is a nice spot, nice catch Joep.

Sure is, I try to head up that way at least once a year. Preferably during warmer months, but hey you go when you can haha.

A few nice fish there.

I would have kept the tailor for eating, 2 nice fillets on the BBQ. Flattie fillets would be OK as well.

Thanks dude. Yeah I was thinking of ditching the jewie idea and just going for tailor but thought I'd better commit since I was already there and put my car through all that trauma. Don't think I would have done the flatties any justice over a gas burner + limited resources had packed very light and no nearby access to cooking facilities. Actually if anyone has nice and easy ways of cooking fish over a camp fire that would be great for next time so I can pack a few ingredients.

Actually if anyone has nice and easy ways of cooking fish over a camp fire that would be great for next time so I can pack a few ingredients.

Take a hot plate with you (flat plate, not the grill type)

Let the fire die down a fair bit (too hot and the fish burn quickly). Plenty of oil on the plate and cook away, or wrap the fish fillets in foil (with flavourings added, such as lemon juice, or lime juice, or a little bit of sweet chilli sauce, or butter, or a combination of ingredients) Onto the plate, and turn halfway during the cooking (will not take too long to cook)

When I was a young bloke, we cooked whole whiting (were not big fish, just over the size limit) on a pot belly stove. The fish were not scaled or gutted, just wrapped in foil, (no oil or butter added to the foil) then cooked each side for a few minutes. When ready to eat, the foil was unwrapped, and because there was no oil on the foil, the scales and skin of the fish stuck to the foil and peeled away to leave the meat of the fish. The head was snapped off and the gills and gut stuck to the head and pulled out cleanly, just leaving the meat to be drizzled with lemon or lime juice.