You learn something new...

Ryder

I heard a good tip today on the radio today that made me think, sometimes the obvious escapes me.

Here it is,

'On your car dash fuel gauge, near the empty level, is a picture of a bowser. Next to the bowser pic is an arrow, it points left or right. The arrow points out which side you fill up your car.'

Who knew? Nobody told me.

There must be a lot of simple/obvious things out there.

Speak up!

The little arrow thing has been around for a while. I first noticed it on my '92 Camry wagon. Great idea for the person new to the vehicle.

I wonder if drivers know that their is a little wheel on the dash of many recent vehicle, like 4WD's and people movers, whose purpose isn't to dim the dash board lights.The function may not be obvious, but it's used to adjust headlight beam angle. I'm sure a lot of drivers don't use it, because I'm almost blinded by people movers coming up behind me at night in the city. When they come past, sure enough, their headlight beam, while not on high beam, is angled way too high.

Anyone else notice this?

I was on to that one Ryder the obvious one that got me is that I only recently discovered my car has a fuel cap holder on the inside of the little fuel access door. Very handy especially when doing multiple things filling up fuel containers as well.

Grey Nurse I thought those annoying blasts of headlights was due to poorly adjusted lights or people upgrading to illegal setups like HID.

Most car manufacturers incorrectly label driving lights as fog lights. From fogs should actually be an orange light not white. The rear fog is the only real fog light on most cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is dating back like 15 years ago now, hope people have learnt by then. Anyway, during a cold morning in the car, usually your windows would all fog up from the inside due to your body heat. 15 years ago, 95% of people would turn their aircon full blast on COLD! Sigh... everytime I see it, I have to educate them, that you can use the Aircon with HOT and it will clear the fog... everyone assumes A/C is only for cold air lol

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Guest no one

I learnt something new not many drivers know these days, it's those little Blinky lights on the side of the car, they are used to INDICATE when you are planning on adjusting your route.

Who knew hey!? Certainly not 90% of Sydney's drivers!

Nothing to do with cars but I found out the other day the numbers on a toaster are time in minutes for your toast to be cooking not what temperature level, I always went straight to number five trying to get black toast thinking this was the hottest temperature but it really meant five minutes of cooking.

Those little fuel cap holders on the inside of the fuel door are indeed a great idea. When I left school back in '70, in the days of the free floating petrol cap, I pumped petrol for 6 months, in between engine washes (remember those). and, I'll admit, occasionally, I'd forget to replace a cap or three. But when self service came in, our local servo had a bag of petrol caps waiting to be collected by the owners, that he had salvaged in 1 month! Now you rarely see fuel caps left behind. However, I did see one the other day sitting atop a bowser at the local 7-11. It was a locking cap, to boot. Ouch! Hope the driver got it back.

The arrow for which side to fill up is a great invention especially when it is busy at the servo.

People don't seem to realise the browser hose does reach the other side of the car.

Means no lining up for me.

The hose does reach the other side of the car but I have noticed that where it touches on the paint work it leaves a scuff mark

Park closer to the pump.one hand on the nozzle the other to hold the hose off the car.

i never get a scuff mark.

I hate lining up for fuel.

Car is a Mitsubishi Outlander

Park closer to the pump.one hand on the nozzle the other to hold the hose off the car.

i never get a scuff mark.

I hate lining up for fuel.

Car is a Mitsubishi Outlander

I agree and do the same thing. You also get every last drop out of the hose :)

The little arrow thing has been around for a while. I first noticed it on my '92 Camry wagon. Great idea for the person new to the vehicle.

I wonder if drivers know that their is a little wheel on the dash of many recent vehicle, like 4WD's and people movers, whose purpose isn't to dim the dash board lights.The function may not be obvious, but it's used to adjust headlight beam angle. I'm sure a lot of drivers don't use it, because I'm almost blinded by people movers coming up behind me at night in the city. When they come past, sure enough, their headlight beam, while not on high beam, is angled way too high.

Anyone else notice this?

I can't say I've noticed that.

But that flick up/down function on your revision mirror is meant to stop blinding lights fn the mirror at night.

You can still see the traffic, just not directly thru the back window.

Edited by Ryder

Somebody also told me if your car doesn't have the arrows that point to which side of the car you fill up you look at the little bowser pic on your dash and you fill up on what side the hose is on the bowser. Not sure if it's true but it works on my two cars.

I heard a good tip today on the radio today that made me think, sometimes the obvious escapes me.

Here it is,

'On your car dash fuel gauge, near the empty level, is a picture of a bowser. Next to the bowser pic is an arrow, it points left or right. The arrow points out which side you fill up your car.'

Who knew? Nobody told me.

There must be a lot of simple/obvious things out there.

Speak up!

Heard this a while ago, yet on my car it was wrong. So not 100% accurate!

I can't say I've noticed that.

But that flick up/down function on your revision mirror is meant to stop blinding lights fn the mirror at night.

You can still see the traffic, just not directly thru the back window.

Rear view mirror is fine. I use the offset in those circumstances. But I wind up having to hold my hand up between my eyes and the driver's side mirror until the dude passes. I know all vehicles don't have the angle beam switch, but I bet that there's a heap that do, and don't bother reading the manual to realise that it's their for the other motorist.