New Trailer

antonywardle

Hi All

just got a new trailer. Looks pretty good to me and I'm happy with it.

Is there anything you recommend I do, before i get my boat on it?

I've noticed that the left brake doesn't seem to come on very well.

It looks like a design flaw really with the buckles looking like they

get caught on the springs.

There is no spare wheel, so I either need to get one or I could move

my wheels and hubs over from my current trailer. All the rollers look good.

Do I need to lube them or anything? I'm thinking of anything that I can do before

the boat goes on and makes it harder.

post-33501-0-15354400-1438910433_thumb.jpg

There's 'NEW' and then new to you? If brand new check for grease at the appropriate points and that nothing is loose. If new to you then start checking all the pivot points for wear and that the bearings rhe rollers sit on aren't worn and likely to fail. Grease in the jockey wheel post and it looks like the winch is electric so check the pins for corrosion and that it works under load as a slipping clutch will be a real pain. Are the grey marks on the draw bar from removed gear or has the trailer had a repair job (cut and shut).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would change that winch. Hate wire!

Go over ur rollers and make sure they do wobble and they are not going to fall off.

Check all nuts and bolts

Check elctrical wiring, plug etc

Have you done the bearings?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Trailer is new for me, but second hand.

The winch is dynema not wire so that's ok. The hook is pretty rusty and an easy swap.

Haven't looked at the bearing yet, I only got it last night, but will have a look at them tonight.

I gave the rollers a quick look and they seemed ok, but I'll go over them again tonight as well.

The guy I got it off really seemed to know what he was doing. All the bolts have been replaced

so it will be an easy job to move the winch forward or backwards.

The only think that is broken that I can see, is the collar that you flip down when you want to reverse

the trailer.

Trailer wiring is good, and its got new led lamps.

Took the wheels off and had a look at the bearings. They all look good

Tried my new wheels but they don't fit. Holden v Ford. Can't swap the hubs

because I'll loose the brakes. I don't really need the brakes but they are there.

The disc's seem to be part of the hub which will mean when they get too thin

I have to replace the hub too. Does that sound right? I couldn't see anywhere

where the discs can come off the hubs.

Took the wheels off and had a look at the bearings. They all look good

Tried my new wheels but they don't fit. Holden v Ford. Can't swap the hubs

because I'll loose the brakes. I don't really need the brakes but they are there.

The disc's seem to be part of the hub which will mean when they get too thin

I have to replace the hub too. Does that sound right? I couldn't see anywhere

where the discs can come off the hubs.

You have a braked trailer,the hub and rotor are machined out of a solid piece of steel.They usually rust out before the rotor becomes too thin as a trailer simply doesn't do the mileage a car on it's own does.When the time comes it will need replacing as a unit which is no big deal.post-20199-0-55875700-1439159872_thumb.jpgThis is a hub for a braked trailer like yours.

post-20199-0-09094000-1439159943_thumb.jpgThis is an unbraked trailer hub like I have on my tinny.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also setup a spray system to wash the salt off your springs and brakes. I set one up on my trailer using irrigation pipe and sprayers with a click on hose fitting.

I made a trailer wash system for my old boat using a 12v windscreen washer pump,various pneumatic hoses and sprayers that was feed by a 20l drum permanently mounted to the trailers a frame which I wired all the way down the trailer to a toggle switch on my dash.When launching/retrieving I flicked the toggle while I drove to park the car to rinse the trailer before the salt baked on to it in the sun.The same can be done with a bildge pump.Remember when you get home and rinse the trailer the worst of the damage has been done while you were out fishing.

Cheers.

Great idea. I think I have a trip to the big gardening store coming up. [emoji41] I always flush the trailer after being out for the day but will look at setting up a flush system for whilst I'm in the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk