Saturday 8/8

Ryder

Hi Raiders,

I met up with the boys, Mark and Royce, this morning and we headed to South Head in search of the usual, Blackfish.

With the swell being up it was a big NoNo, so we fished camp cove.

Royce headed off with his fly rod to another ledge, while Mark and I floated out cabbage.

It wasn't long before Royce had his first and stashed him in a rock pool. Soon after he's again, and again.

He had 3 in the pool before Mark chimed in and put one in the bag. I was making a slow start, getting downs but not hooking up.

Royce kept catching them on fly, and Mark got a few more on cabbage, then out of the blue, Trevor turns up intending to flick some plastics. He soon switched over to my spare rod, and started getting into them.

Meanwhile I'm still on a donut.

Royce came back to our ledge, armed with his trusty Sportex and he's on first drift. He said 'they're taking weed, more than cabbage'. That was the turning point, I switched to weed and to everyone's surprise, I got my first.

The fish really came on during the 2nd half of the rising tide and the bag filled up fast. We ended up with 23, a few throw backs, and a heap of pulled hooks.

The crows got to a couple of Royce's fish while in the rockpool. They are bound for the smoker, along with a few of they're mates, the rest of us took home a feed as well.

Last August I couldn't buy a fish, and it was looking like it was going to be a repeat this year, happily No.

Cheers Ryder

post-33162-0-40203100-1439020561_thumb.jpg

Royce was doing the smoking. He marinates in a special mix of salt sugar beer, I don't know all the ingredients.

The last batch I had he did turned out very nice, especially the roe, that's extra special.

I love the smoked fish on its own, my wife not so much, but she did like it in Kedergee.

Nice to see you have sussed out where the fish are. I have never used a weed fly, are they lightly weighted.

We fished Chiswick Saturday afternoon and the fish bit like crazy on run up, however, only on weed I sourced from canal in Pomeroy street Homebush near Ausgrid depot.

The weed there is absolutely beautiful. (you need a grappling hook and 20M cord). The fish would not take a bait when tide changed.