Bate Bay - fairly quiet

Yowie

Headed out at sunrise to a slightly bumpy swell in Bate Bay. Dropped the line to the bottom, then no weight on the line. Pulled up, felt a small fish then retrieved it. It was a slimey, the sinker was missing and the slimey had big teeth marks on one side. Added another sinker and dropped the still kicking slimey down but nothing there.

So I resumed flattie drifting for a long time for a couple of small ones, and the single tiger. Some places there were no bites at all. That was near 3 hours of drifting.

Decided to have one last drift in a new spot, and was on straight away. Pulled out the 6 blue spots, and threw back more than double that in just undersized ones in half an hour. Not big flatties, but had enough for a feed, so left them biting.

Also pulled up a small barracouta later on, maybe a couta attacked the slimey earlier on.

The current was pushing me south when I moved out to deeper water for a little while, even though it was against the breeze, but no bites at that time.

(the flatties kept wiggling off the brag mat every time I snapped a photo, so that's why they are mostly off it)

post-13153-0-34051900-1439957598_thumb.jpg

Edited by yowie

Guest 4myson

Well done , good on you for getting out there today & getting a nice feed . I was planning on getting out there today aswell but had a friend pull the pin last minute ....

Onya bro! You not keep the Barra for bait?

No, let him go to grow bigger and terrorise someone with his big teeth.

Many years ago, I kept a couple of them over the 2 foot long mark, cut off the fillets, then smoked them in a shoebox sized smoker. Apart from the bones, it was fairly edible, but I would not want to survive only on couta.

nice flatties, do you keep them alive in a livewell?

In an esky, somewhere around the 80 litre size.

I freeze water in a 1 litre container, then take the frozen block with me when I head out, add the block and a bucket or two of sea water to the esky, and toss the fish inside.

I was going to cut the throats of the flatties, but when they came on the bite, I did not get around to it. When I arrived back home, the flatties were still cruising about in the cold water. Most fish do not survive in that cold water for too long.

The water stays cold for some hours, even on a hot day.

The flatties were in a tight patch when I found them, smaller ones male and larger ones female, so it must have been a breeding session between them.

Great stuff yowie! By the sounds of it, you ruined the party they were having. Lol :) good to see you found them. Drifting is the key, especially in the colder months!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I would like a party like that, with women all around :074:

It was not much for a looooong time, then a fish every drop not long after hitting the bottom, even if most were sent back to grow up.

also had couda many years ago from a shoe box smoker found it quite nice.

Was in the fishing club at the Tradies at the time. Could we have shared the same fish.

Grandad

No, I was in the St George and Sutherland Shire Fishing Club (think that was it) when I was a junior fisho.

Gary Chapman, the fisho and Olympic swimmer, was in the club, fished with him a couple of times until he drowned at sea when his boat was swamped.

Edited by yowie

I did some drifting for lizards south of the Hacking this morning in the 40-50 metre depth range. Used fresh squid tentacles on "snapper rigs". Couldn't keep the bait on the hooks for more than 5 minutes due to, I assume, a plague of leatherjackets. Had one rig bitten off well above the trace knot.

Saw masses of what appeared to be pilchards playing on the surface along a distinct current line, Nothing appeared to be harassing them but in time I'm sure something will find them!

I did some drifting for lizards south of the Hacking this morning in the 40-50 metre depth range. Used fresh squid tentacles on "snapper rigs". Couldn't keep the bait on the hooks for more than 5 minutes due to, I assume, a plague of leatherjackets. Had one rig bitten off well above the trace knot.

Saw masses of what appeared to be pilchards playing on the surface along a distinct current line, Nothing appeared to be harassing them but in time I'm sure something will find them!

When I moved out a bit deeper the other day, could not feel any bites but the 2 baits came back looking a bit mangled. Looked like small jackets had done the damage.

I have found sometimes that the jackets are in the deeper water south of the bombie.

The gannets were diving occasionally while I was out, but did not see any fish swimming around on the surface.