Fishing magazines?

stevefish

I occasionally read them. Used too look for them every now and then but not anymore. I find most of them have similar articles and lots of info cab be found online... No special magazines for me I just pick on the content advertise on the front page, occasionally the gifts they give or randomly if I go on travel and want something to read in the plane...

Guest 4myson

Fishing Monthly for me , it's the only magazine that covers all of NSW & you can actually check up on what's been biting in the particular area you plan to fish ...

Fishing Monthly for me , it's the only magazine that covers all of NSW & you can actually check up on what's been biting in the particular area you plan to fish ...

Only issue I found is that by the time they write it, print it and distribute it - it's usually no longer relevant :(

Guest 4myson

Only issue I found is that by the time they write it, print it and distribute it - it's usually no longer relevant :(

It's never irrelevant to know what has "BEEN "biting , for most serious Fishos out knowing what has been out there gives you a clue as to what might be following .....

I used to buy and read them every month a long time ago and I learnt a lot. These days it's basically all repeat type articles that I read years ago.

Also, they include a second crappy magazine in the same package to make it look like your getting more and to disguise the ultra thin main magazine when you pick it up haha. Not worth the price they are IMO but I still get sucked in every now and then especially when they have titles on them like "So and so Secrets You Need to Know"

It's never irrelevant to know what has "BEEN "biting , for most serious Fishos out knowing what has been out there gives you a clue as to what might be following .....

Yeah, I'm not at that level.

I read "There was plenty of salmon in the hacking" and think "AWW I MISSED THEM"

Guest no one

We have not bought a magazine for years. The advertising is over the top and the articles just reruns of the same with the same contributors aka experts. I reckon we have more experts here in our fishraider community and they are NOT being paid for comment.

Too right!

Fish raider is my magazine!

Flylife is the one I've been reading lately. Top quality. Gives me the chance to dream about all the places that fishing could take me

Flylife? Isn't that a Chinese dish you have with Satay Beef?

Tuffy.

Yeah, I'm not at that level.

I read "There was plenty of salmon in the hacking" and think "AWW I MISSED THEM"

AMKR You could of seen me holding a good snapper only to get zero's when we visit the area a few weeks later.

I haven't bought a mag in quite a while, though i was given a subscription as a present to modern fishing.

The articles can be ok but as other have said, most are reruns of the same old.

One thing that really irks me though is the new 'style' of photography with these fishing mags.

here are some examples i found on the web...

https://www.isubscribe.com.au/images/covers/au/32/122/xlarge/ModernFishing14815115721.png

http://justmediakits.com/images.mediakit/0/fly_fishing_in_salt_waters.500.jpg

http://www.americansamoa.travel/Websites/asvb/images/nz_fishing_news_january_2012_cover.jpg

http://www.fishing-lures.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/bassmaster-fishing-magazine.jpg

I understand we as fishermen (and women!) can brag about the one that got away and are known to add a couple of cm to our catch, but these wide angle photography sessions are really bugging me. Im seeing sub 30cm bream being presented as monster fish and 50cm flatties being thrown forward full arms length to make it look like a croc...

Maybe its just me, the photos i take of the fish i catch (pb) all have a label of the date and size of fish with the photo taken with the fish being held comfortably in front of my chest or a side on profile. In fact, if the photo looks like the fish is massive, i tend to remove it from my own list as its not a recollection of the memory i have had catching the fish.

Now, THIS photo is what i would like to see in fishing mags!

https://saltwaterjaws.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/salt-water-sportsman.jpg

Nice, side on photo, no exaggeration (the subject holding the piscatorial specimen was not a determining factor in the choice!)