Exploring the Cooks

adamski

Hey folks,

Over the last couple of weeks I've been fishing a new stretch of the Cooks not too far from where I live. It's been reasonably productive few sessions with bream being taken out of the back of the snags and some little flatties here and there, as well as a couple of trevs a few weeks back. All the fish have been taken on Z-Mans with 1/12 and 1/8 jigheads. I've been watching a lot of trout fishing vids from the UK on youtube and the tips on reading the water and fishing rivers have proved quite useful.

Here are a few pics- could anyone confirm if the darker of the bream is a black bream?

post-33473-0-66632400-1440756636_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-38822100-1440756656_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-77106200-1440756684_thumb.jpg

post-33473-0-61989500-1440756707_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-71201700-1440756736_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-49312000-1440756863_thumb.jpg

post-33473-0-24302500-1440756893_thumb.jpg

Yet to find a deeper hole where something bigger might be lurking, but I thought about going further up and trying around Canterbury. Has anyone ever fished that far up before? Does anyone know at what point you'd start to see freshwater species in the river (one of my NY resolutions was to get a freshwater species)?

I also took the girlfriend out plastics fishing around Iron Cove, but didn't manage to get her onto a fish as we had to call it a day early because of the rain. On the plus side, she seems keen to go again and she was getting some really good distance on her casts, sure it won't be long til she's out-fishing me ;)

I'll be out hitting the eastern suburbs in the hope of something a bit bigger this weekend.

Thanks for reading,

Adam

Those all look like Yellowtail Bream to me. Black Bream (aka Ludrick) have quite pronounced dark near vertical stripes. Bream will change colour somewhat depending on the locale - surf fish very silver and clean, river fish darker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks gents. I was just a bit surprised as I'd never caught one quite as dark as that before. Is there a definite way to tell the difference between the two? Tastee, I always thought luderick were blackfish, but I saw in Queensland and certain other parts of Australia that the name is also used for black bream.

Guest 4myson

Those all look like Yellowtail Bream to me. Black Bream (aka Ludrick) have quite pronounced dark near vertical stripes. Bream will change colour somewhat depending on the locale - surf fish very silver and clean, river fish darker.

I think you might be referring to Black Fish as ( aka Ludrick ) Black bream on the other hand are found more down South also known as the Southern Black Bream . All Yellow fin bream are known to have a Large Yellow first anal spine which you can clearly see in the photos while the Black Bream don't . Edited by 4myson

Guest 4myson

I am a Queenslander so am used to referring to Luderick as Black Bream. Happy to be corrected as Blackfish however. I am not familiar with Southern Black Bream so will defer to our experts.

Bloody Queenslanders ( just kiddin Tastee) I never knew you guys refer them as Ludrick .... What else you guys do Ass About up there ??? (You can tell I'm still Crying about the ORIGIN loss ) .... LOL ...

nice work mate some good bream

i've been chasing jews in the cooks for the last 4 weeks nothing except a lot of by catch

I've heard of black bream in the cooks so it could be one but I'm no expert

cheers sydneyfisher12

Cheers Seamus, sure the jewie won't be long in coming.

Good haul Adam, you seem to have really honed your skills over the last 12 months.

And how's that Cooks river... What a productive ( if not radioactive) little waterway that is

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, yup every time I finish fishing there I always check to make sure I haven't sprouted an extra digit or two ;)

Killing it as usual man! Great brace of fish there, gotta love our faithful smelly old river haha.

Good condition on those bream too. They are indeed yellow fin, the thick anal spine is the give away, that dark one is definitely an upriver resident though! Usually they're much closer to the silver specimens!

Keep it up! Have to join you again soon

Killing it as usual man! Great brace of fish there, gotta love our faithful smelly old river haha.

Good condition on those bream too. They are indeed yellow fin, the thick anal spine is the give away, that dark one is definitely an upriver resident though! Usually they're much closer to the silver specimens!

Keep it up! Have to join you again soon

Cheers dude, thanks for the info too- guess I'll be checking out anal spines on all my future dark-coloured bream ;) Be good to get out for a fish soon.

HI Adam

I have lure fished the Cooks a few times over the past years and found some surprise catches --Bream -Flatties -Flounder -Trevs -Whiting - Blackfish -Jew- Mullet-

& 1 EP .The area I fished is from Earlwood up stream past Beaman Park

Good Luck . Regds Bob

A few years back i was on the train. Where the line goes over the cooks near the racecourse at Canterbury there was a dead shark lying in the silt at low tide. Don't know what kind but it was aabout 2ft long. Obviously didn't agree with the toxins.