Almost spring whiting!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Just a quick report from the bay.

I've been hanging to get the boat out for the past few weeks and as usual on my days off, there's either sport or crap weather. So last night the boys and I hatched a plan to go out in the bay and target some whiting. Juniors mate has never caught one, so we set out to change that. First we drifted for a few flatty but they didn't want to come and play. So we went looking for our target! It took a while to find them but we eventually hit our target landing quite a few and getting my sons mate the first of many!

post-24974-0-32843100-1440919441_thumb.jpg

The best bit was yet to come as we sat down for an early dinner of beer battered whiting!

post-24974-0-18960500-1440919558_thumb.jpg

It was a nice day out on the water with the boys, they were well behaved and even cleaned the boat at the end of the day! Well done lads! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest 4myson

Nicely Done , what a haul !!

quote name="little scratchie jnr" post="561536" timestamp="1440924859"]thanks dad but remember, I caught the most and the biggest :) Dont forget the rule on my boat ! He Who Cacthes the Most , Cleans the Boat !! Well done Little Jnr ....

Good haul there team scratch, what bait did they take? I'm coming up end of sep, leave some for me please boys! ?

Plenty about Craig but you have to find them. They were all caught on prawns because the tide was wrong to pump nippers! Let me know when your about!

Nicely Done , what a haul !!

quote name="little scratchie jnr" post="561536" timestamp="1440924859"]thanks dad but remember, I caught the most and the biggest :)

Dont forget the rule on my boat ! He Who Cacthes the Most , Cleans the Boat !! Well done Little Jnr ....

Cheers Sasha! The boys cleaned the boat and ate most of the fish too! :)

Good catch scratchie. How do you distinguish trumpeter whiting?

Last summer I throw back lots of them because of I didn't know if they are sand whiting or trumpeter whiting.

If you notice the blochie skin and a purple tinge. They also have a more turned down mouth and generally only grow to a max of 30cm. Quite easy to tell them over a sand whiting especially side by side. There are no legal size limits for them but a bag limit of 20. I generally only take the ones over 25cm and they eat just the same!