Smiths Creek

harold

Well, we left bobbin head Friday straight after school was out and our son was adamant we should go to smiths creek. We were on a buoy at Twilight Inlet about 4.30 and 10 seconds later he had a line in the water. Truth be told we had zilch by diner time and we were all tired. I flew to Melbourne on the 7am and back to sydney on the 10am flight, I had to meet a guy at the airport for a chat. We were in bed before 8pm and asleep within minutes. Saturday was just marvellous the sun was warm and the wind was absent. We launched the dinghy and went down to the bottom of Kindred Bay as our son wanted to go squidding. As luck would have it he caught 2 very large squid and we took them back to the boat for Mimi to clean and cook. They were lovely. We then decided to drift for flathead, that was a great idea but someone forgot to tell the flathead we were coming. A big fat zilch. So back to the boat as lunch was on. After lunch we launched one of the kayaks and went for a paddle. Later in the afternoon I got the squid jig and put it out the back of the boat and within 10 minutes we had 3 more only these were a bit smaller. My poor wife once again cleaned and cooked them as an entree for dinner. We didn't bother trying to fish last night and got up this morning, cleaned up and was back in the berth about 10am.

The water is really starting to warm up and we saw 19 degrees at one point and 18 most of the time.

There seemed to be quite a few boats going out this morning as it was warm with clear skies. Next week the wind looks dreadful but if the forecast changes we will be back out there looking to catch our first flathead of the season.

By the way, whilst paddling in the sand flats of twilight inlet I saw the largest stingray I have ever seen outside of the aquarium. I kid you not it would have been over a metre in diameter, I very nearly trod on it. Images of Steve Irwin went crashing through my mind for a second.

As we were returning to the berth we saw a scary sight. A mum and dad with 2 very small kids all in a single kayak and only 2 with life jackets. Crazy.

What a top weekend Harold with the Family . You can't go past fresh squid for dinner ..... If you heading out next weekend give Patonga a go . Always produces flattys with drifts across the bay . Fish strips work awesome ....

What a top weekend Harold with the Family . You can't go past fresh squid for dinner ..... If you heading out next weekend give Patonga a go . Always produces flattys with drifts across the bay . Fish strips work awesome ....

Thanks for the advice. If we get out will give it a go.