Don't be a knob

rockfisherman

Hi raiders

Did a bit of a mod to a 6 inch alvey. Took one of the little knobs off. Got the knob off a 650 rock hopper and modified it to fit on the 6 inch reel.

I used the same screw. Had to bore into the knob about 10mm to allow the screw to come thru.you need to be fairly precise, bore a little out at a time and test it. I took out a little to much so it's a little loose. Try put the knob in some sort of vice so you don't slice into your thumb like I did.

Also need to add theres a small lip running round where the smaller knob meets the spool.the rockhopper knob is bigger than this lip. I went on to grind the base of the rockhopper knob to fit inside this lip,this was quite tedious, if I could go back I would have grinder/shaved off the lip.

post-9212-0-04130500-1443238977_thumb.png

post-9212-0-66176600-1443239013_thumb.png

post-9212-0-66766700-1443239057_thumb.png

Edited by fishingphase

The old I'll hold the part with one hand while I drill with the other trick,I bet a few can relate.

The funniest one I saw was my brother drilling through a length of wood after me telling him to support the wood on the ground holding it in one hand vertically and drilling with the other.

Well you guessed right,it must have grabbed on a knot and flung the timber out of his grasp doing a full 360 right into his family jewels dropping him to the ground like a sack of spuds.

His facial expression as he fell was priceless,im still laughing as I write this over 20years later.

Edited by Fab1

The old I'll hold the part with one hand while I drill with the other trick,I bet a few can relate.

The funniest one I saw was my brother drilling through a length of wood after me telling him to support the wood on the ground holding it in one hand vertically and drilling with the other.

Well you guessed right,it must have grabbed on a knot and flung the timber out of his grasp doing a full 360 right into his family jewels dropping him to the ground like a sack of spuds.

His facial expression as he fell was priceless,im still laughing as I write this over 20years later.

Hahahaa

You laugh...

He cries...

That's life

I like it!

HAve a few alveys myself and i think i will have a go at this!

Not sure how you'd go with a Bakelite knob from an older reel, would probably have to go the newer hard plastic type, you can order them from alvey, unless you have one.

When selecting the drill bit, it should slide in snugly to the entry hole, and remember a little at a time until you replicate how much the screw comes out on the original smaller knob

Harry

Thanks for the tip Harry. I have way to many alveys (old and new) and have mostley new type alveys so will give it a shot.

Im talking

1 x 700c5

2 x 6500bcvrr

1 x 650a5

1 x 650c5

1 x 55a5

1 x 50 A5E 7

1 x 500a5

1 x 45b

im sure i have more.. the list goes on and on.......

Edited by SquidMarks

Thanks for the tip Harry. I have way to many alveys (old and new) and have mostley new type alveys so will give it a shot.

Im talking

1 x 700c5

2 x 6500bcvrr

1 x 650a5

1 x 650c5

1 x 55a5

1 x 50 A5E 7

1 x 500a5

1 x 45b

im sure i have more.. the list goes on and on.......

Nice collection... I'm currently having affair, my wife is aware, it's with my alvey reels.

Haha...

They dont get the recognition they deserve (im strictly talking land based from stones or beach particularly), they are not high tech flashy but they get the job done and i cant kill the damn things throwing them around the stones or on the sand.

Yeah you nailed it. There's a confidence and comfort I feel when I pick an alvey up to go fishing, compared to a flash spin reel...

When I pick up an alvey, I have no fear of :

a) completely immersing it in salt water, which I do often on the rocks or at the beach because I can.

B) dropping it in the sand and getting sand in between your bail arm especially.

c)dropping it and/or dragging it on the rocks ( although I must admit I dropped my rockhopper off a 3m ledge and it landed square on the knob and bent the screw holding In the knob slightly which I replaced for a small fee).

Not only the above mentioned, but also the cost. You can get a 6 inch direct wind for under $100 that I can pretty my guarantee you will have for the rest of your life and pretty much abuse the hell out of.

They take a little getting used to, but I can honestly there is no other reel I'd use for general use.

Harry