How do you protect your Peepers?

SquidMarks

I can already feel summer coming along and the sun beating down on scarring my corneas as im fishing throughout the day.... (or am i dreaming with the crap weather we had over the last week?!)

In any case.. i like my corneas (and i like having my sight in general!) soooo.... that leads me to my topic!

Im after a pair of fishing sunnies and im not really sure where to begin.

I know there are brands out the like Mako etc but i value the opinions of raiders over the glossy marketing.

Can anyone chime in on a brand that they use and would recommend/ not recommend).

Thanks!

I thinks it depends on the shape of your head!! ;) for what will be comfortable.

I wear glasses anyway so have to have frames that take prescription lenses. I've found rayband wrap around to be the most comfortable for me and easy to get prescription polarised lenses.

Downside is $300 a pair fully rigged !!! :@(

Thanks guys (and mrs),

I remember that post, it has some great info regarding safety.

im more looking for opinions regarding brands, what brand are people using and what would they recommend).

thanks!

http://www.bolle.com.au/products/sport%20specific/marine/marine.html

Don't go past these - swordie just bought a pair of the King Marine sunnies and he recommends them (he can see all those jewies heh heh)

Stewy has just had cataracts removed from both eyes and insertion of intraocular lenses

They cost $200. Swordie in Bali recently wearing them :)

post-869-0-87715900-1443315012_thumb.jpg

I've owned & used heaps of polarised Sunnys from Mako , Spotters & Ray Bans but around 8 years ago I got myself onto Maui Jims & mate there the most comfortable & best polarised by far ... I have around 8 pairs of Maui Jims & Love em ... Every time I go fishing with a mate they compare them to the ones they are wearing & they absolutely love them as well & find it hard to hand them back ...

Edited by 4myson

Woman at sunglasses hut recently said Maui Jim was one of, if not the biggest manufacturer of glasses in the world - they just don't do any advertising. Found it interesting, they looked like nice glasses but probably a bit too much for me to throw fish guts on and drop overboard :P

I've got a $30 pair of polarised glasses that I grabbed (possible shimano branded) from a rack at a large boating camping and fishing retailer.

Figured that way I wouldn't get upset when they inevitably went for a swim.

As I get out on the water more over summer it may be worth investing in a better pair to protect the eyes a bit more.

As nutsaboutfishing says:

When buying sunglasses, they don't have to be expensive to offer good protection. As long as the swing tag says they're Category 2 or 3 (the Australian standards) they should offer sufficient protection. The difference is Cat 2 offer medium sunglare reduction and Cat 3 offer high sunglare reduction. Most sunglasses sold are Cat 3

If you have private health insurance and Cancer Council ones can be claimed. Don't get carried away about the branding or how many pairs you can amass.

You can buy very good eye protection without the cost :sun:

One thing to look out for is the polarisation alignment too. Often servo sunnies have polarisation that isn't aligned straight. There's a quick and easy test that I've forgotten the specifics of - something like looking through one pair at another and rotating it until it goes black.

I have 2 pairs of spotters, 1 are really comfortable, the others not so,.

I forgot to take fishing glasses with me to Panama, so it was a priority to purchase in Panama City befor the trek to the lodge. Picked up a pair is Seastrike....Bimini Bay outdoor optics.

They are the wrap around style, I was so impressed I picked up a 2 nod pair. And the group of us in the shop, several of the guys also went the same way.

They were USD$25.

Wore them for a solid 7 days fishing and I don't wear the spotters anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can already feel summer coming along and the sun beating down on scarring my corneas as im fishing throughout the day.... (or am i dreaming with the crap weather we had over the last week?!)

In any case.. i like my corneas (and i like having my sight in general!) soooo.... that leads me to my topic!

Im after a pair of fishing sunnies and im not really sure where to begin.

I know there are brands out the like Mako etc but i value the opinions of raiders over the glossy marketing.

Can anyone chime in on a brand that they use and would recommend/ not recommend).

Thanks!

Just buy any with polarized lens, that's all you need. You can get $10 polarized glasses and they'll do the same job as the "fishing glasses" which are heavily marketed.